Become a TFP Supporter Welcome to our new server and new forum software. Pool School

Thread: First Salt Cell Cleaning

First Salt Cell Cleaning

New to SWG. Moved into home with SWG pool (I think it was installed 2008/2009) in the fall. AquaRite controller with Hayward TurboCell T-15.

System was working fine going into the winter, but not generating chlorine now. Solid light on low salt and inspect cell. I know it might be toast, but cleaning the cell sure sounds like a better option to me.

Turned power off, loosened fittings and removed cell. Now, how do I use the 1:4 acid/water mixture? I'm thinking I can stand it in a bucket, but I am a little wary of the control cable. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Howard
    25,000 Gallons
    Cartridge/SWG
    Gunite
    Memphis, TN

Re: First Salt Cell Cleaning

I am not 100% the best way to clean the cell. Can you actually see white scale on the metal fins? If not and they look ok, there is really nothing to clean.

I think the check cell light will automatically come on every 3 months or so to "remind" you to inspect the cell ... this light may not really mean there is a problem with the cell.

It is not generating Cl because of the low salt condition. Have you independently checked the salt level to confirm that it is indeed not just low? ... if it really is low then adding salt my solve the problem. If the salt is not really low, the lower reading from the cell usually means the cell is starting to go bad and cleaning may or may not help.

I think the cells generally have a life of 3-5 years and you may be in the middle of that.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, Dolphin Diagnostic Robotic Cleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Gone: Hayward RS1500 pump, undersized DIY solar heater, Dolphin Dynamic Robotic Cleaner
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

Just got my first salt test strips today. Controller says 2100ppm and I will test, as well as take some water to the pool store. One thing I've read here is to not add salt just because the controller reads low.

Visual inspection of cell (can really only see a little on the ends) showed some misc gunk. So I'm hopeful the cleaning and salt add (if needed) will be it. Thanks.

Still hoping for some insight on cleaning in the bucket.

Howard
    25,000 Gallons
    Cartridge/SWG
    Gunite
    Memphis, TN

I think the easiest way is if you have the stand as shown in this YouTube video.

However, I think you are able to just lay the whole cell in the solution while keeping the cord dry.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, Dolphin Diagnostic Robotic Cleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Gone: Hayward RS1500 pump, undersized DIY solar heater, Dolphin Dynamic Robotic Cleaner

Quote Originally Posted by HowardL
    Just got my first salt test strips today. Controller says 2100ppm and I will test, as well as take some water to the pool store. One thing I've read here is to not add salt just because the controller reads low.

Visual inspection of cell (can really only see a little on the ends) showed some misc gunk. So I'm hopeful the cleaning and salt add (if needed) will be it. Thanks.

Still hoping for some insight on cleaning in the bucket.

Howard
    Hayward makes a cleaning stand for this purpose. If you don't have one you can use a bucket but make sure to stand the cell upright with the control cable at the top of the bucket. Do not submerge the control cable end in the bucket. If you could somehow "cap off" the end opposite the cord, stand the cell up in the bucket and pour the diluted acid into the cell to clean it. This is what I do to clean mine.

Pool stores also sell a SWG stand that snaps into the bottom of the cell and then you can fill the inside with the mixture without getting the exterior wet at all. It just basically caps the bottom of the cell allowing you to fill the inside. I saw it the other day and it looked like a clever idea.
    15x30 free form (10,500 gal) SWG
    Gunite, Game depth 3.5-5-4 ft, 1 hp Sta-Rite Super Max 2 speed pump, 53' Sta-Rite system 3 DE filter
    Pentair Intellibrite LED
    Pentair 125k BTU ultra temp heat pump,
    Screen Enclosure
    TF-100 Test Kit

Well, since I took the SWG cell out to clean, thought I might as well clean the cartidge filter while I was at it. I can't believe how filthy it was. In process of putting Humpty Dumpty back together again now.

Question: how tight do the cartridge filter clamps need to be? Hand tight?
    Thanks.

Howard
    25,000 Gallons
    Cartridge/SWG
    Gunite
    Memphis, TN

Testing salt level now with test strip. Controller, which shut down due to low salt) said 2100ppm. I will see what test strip says, hook the SWG back up and start powering up.

Any suggestions, comments or warnings? Thanks.

Howard
    25,000 Gallons
    Cartridge/SWG
    Gunite
    Memphis, TN

Salt test strip says (if I am reading it correctly) 5.0 - 5.2 which equates to about 1900ppm. So, roughly the same as controller.

At this point, I think it's time to turn everything back on and add about 200lbs salt.

Howard
    25,000 Gallons
    Cartridge/SWG
    Gunite
    Memphis, TN

Well, that could be good and your cell may work after all.

How did you come up with 200 lbs?
    According to the poolcalculator.com for a 30,000 gallon pool to raise from 2000 to 3200 is 300 lbs ... of course you may want to start with a little less.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

Math error. Just added 280lbs. Thanks.
    Howard
    25,000 Gallons
    Cartridge/SWG
    Gunite
    Memphis, TN

Senior Member In the Industry

Some SWG's like Pentair IC models DO NOT produce chlorine unless the water is at least 53 degrees. Check your manual for this.
    25k 20x40 Gunite w/ integrated Spa & Caribbean Blue Plaster, Curved Bluestone Coping, Deck Jets
    Pentair Easy Touch/Wireless, Sta-Rite Intellipro SRVS Pump, Intellibrite Lights, & Pentair IC40 Cell, Sta-Rite 450sf Cartridge filter
    Heated from Central Boiler - Outdoor Wood Furnace & Triangle Tube Max Heat Exchanger
    ColorQ Pro
    TF-100

Aquarite is the same, +51*. Also every 500 hours "INSPECT CELL" will come on, this is normal. Hold the + to reset after looking.
    40'x19' IG Diamond Brite 29K 4' Waterfall/Dive Rock FNS60 DE 2x2hp Whisperflo pumps Aqualogic(P4) SWG TF100 Tester

Pool School, Pool Calculator,TFTestKits,