Hayward sp714t1 valve filter repair

May 22, 2011
okay so it seems i have the worse filter head to replace parts on. when i got the pool ready this year it was not only still running water out the waste line when i had it on filter but the handle didnt have any tension any more either. so of course i took it apart lol. the spring was rusted and broken and the gasket was half missing. so i ordered the spx0714ca key/seal assembly, the spring (Selecta-Flo Spring, SPX0603S), and the washers (spring Washers, SPX0710Z62). from all the websites i looked up the spring and the washers seemed to be kind of generic to all the haywards. anyway i got them in today. replaced everything, put the filter head back on, turned on the pump, and water started coming out from around the handle. please tell me why???

oh no, i see 2 little o-rings in the grooves of the old seal assembly that i didnt notice before. Crud they probably wont come out without stretching. i was hoping to have this thing up and running before it turned green and nasty again. :rant:

thank you for making me take that 2nd look!

thredhd said:
and it doesnt matter anymore because i got those o-rings off the old one and put them on the new one and snapped the assembly trying to get the handle back on. :grrrr:

Sorry to laugh to myself at your misfortune ... I have so many times expected my weak looking plastic handle to snap when I have to lean on it to to raise it to to turn. So far I have been lucky, but one of these days I know it is going to happen :cry:

thats okay, another beer and i'll be laughing too.

i went back to the website i ordered from and found that they sell the whole key and handle assembly all put together for me. why i didnt order (or see) that last time i do not know. but maybe i wont break this one. hey at least now i have some extra parts if i need them lol.

still cheaper than the pool guy! lol.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.