Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Hayward sp714t1 valve filter repair

1. Back To Top    #1

Hayward sp714t1 valve filter repair

okay so it seems i have the worse filter head to replace parts on. when i got the pool ready this year it was not only still running water out the waste line when i had it on filter but the handle didnt have any tension any more either. so of course i took it apart lol. the spring was rusted and broken and the gasket was half missing. so i ordered the spx0714ca key/seal assembly, the spring (Selecta-Flo Spring, SPX0603S), and the washers (spring Washers, SPX0710Z62). from all the websites i looked up the spring and the washers seemed to be kind of generic to all the haywards. anyway i got them in today. replaced everything, put the filter head back on, turned on the pump, and water started coming out from around the handle. please tell me why???

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Hayward sp714t1 valve filter repair

Sounds like an o-ring didn't seal. Did you replace it while you were replacing the other parts?
    You might try lubing it but I doubt that's it.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

which o-ring? there one around the very top but that seems fine and its not where the water came out. it literally came right up the shaft of the seal assembly and out the handle.

4. Back To Top    #4

oh no, i see 2 little o-rings in the grooves of the old seal assembly that i didnt notice before. **** they probably wont come out without stretching. i was hoping to have this thing up and running before it turned green and nasty again.

thank you for making me take that 2nd look!

5. Back To Top    #5

and it doesnt matter anymore because i got those o-rings off the old one and put them on the new one and snapped the assembly trying to get the handle back on.

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by thredhd
    and it doesnt matter anymore because i got those o-rings off the old one and put them on the new one and snapped the assembly trying to get the handle back on.
    Sorry to laugh to myself at your misfortune ... I have so many times expected my weak looking plastic handle to snap when I have to lean on it to to raise it to to turn. So far I have been lucky, but one of these days I know it is going to happen
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

7. Back To Top    #7

thats okay, another beer and i'll be laughing too.

i went back to the website i ordered from and found that they sell the whole key and handle assembly all put together for me. why i didnt order (or see) that last time i do not know. but maybe i wont break this one. hey at least now i have some extra parts if i need them lol.

still cheaper than the pool guy! lol.

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by thredhd
    still cheaper than the pool guy! lol.
    I think that is always true.

Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

9. Back To Top    #9

What an ordeal. The good news is that once you get it all replaced you should have a really trouble free experience.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit