Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Liner install cost

1. Back To Top    #1

Liner install cost

16 by 32 IG vinyl from Michigan was quoted from 2000 to 2500 on replacement liner install. Dont have the money at the moment but the sales guy was bending over backward to come out and check it out. Just wondered if that's a decent price I believe the liner is a 20 mil if Im correct.
    16 x 32 Inground Vinyl 21000, 2 returns, 1 skimmer, 1 main drain. Raypak Heater, Crystal Flo Sand Filter

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Liner install cost

If that includes the liner and the install it's a good bargain.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

How involved is it to replace the liner? Im pretty handy but that might not mean much
    16 x 32 Inground Vinyl 21000, 2 returns, 1 skimmer, 1 main drain. Raypak Heater, Crystal Flo Sand Filter

4. Back To Top    #4

It's pretty involved but if you're handy and have a few helpers (and a good shop vac) you can do it without too much trouble.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump

5. Back To Top    #5

I was sort of worried about the pool collapsing when I drained it?

6. Back To Top    #6

If you are draining to replace the liner the only risk is from a high water table. You need the local water table to be below the bottom of the pool to install a new liner and to avoid the remote chance of dirt under the bottom of the pool shifting due to water flowing through. The walls of the pool should be quite solid and will not collapse.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

7. Back To Top    #7

Im worrying myself, this is seeming like a project I'm more and more wanting to take on. I guess I should start searching DIY liner installs.

8. Back To Top    #8

For me personally, liner installation fee, although expensive is money well spent. Watching the installers, its a lot of work and there are a number of little details that came up that I didn't even consider before they started. For example, they ended up replacing the jets (eyeballs), jet, skimmer and main drain covers. In addition to that, there was some minor repairs made to the floor. You'll need to ask whats include in the price.

I was planning on linking a video, but there are lots of them posted on youtube. If anyone know of a video that is really good, hopefully they'll post a link, but nearly any of the ones I glanced at will give you an idea of the kinds of things involved.
    19,600 gal, Vinyl, Grecian L, StaRite Dura-Glas 1 HP pump, 3/4hp booster, Pentair Clean and Clear 420 Cartridge filter
    The Pool Cleaner 4x, PoolSkim

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by pooly1
    Im worrying myself, this is seeming like a project I'm more and more wanting to take on. I guess I should start searching DIY liner installs.
    Sorry didn't see your post when I posted that other one. Definitely do your research, learn whats involved. An informed decision is always a better one. If you do go that route you'll save a lot of money. But like I said, it looked like a ton of work.
    19,600 gal, Vinyl, Grecian L, StaRite Dura-Glas 1 HP pump, 3/4hp booster, Pentair Clean and Clear 420 Cartridge filter
    The Pool Cleaner 4x, PoolSkim

10. Back To Top    #10

How would I figure out what my water table is?

11. Back To Top    #11

The best way to figure it out is to contact your county agent. If you don't have that, you can bore a hole as deep as the pool and see if it fills with water. Where ever it fills to is your water table.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator

12. Back To Top    #12

I just found out I have a high water level, due to the swamp our neighborhood was built on. Is there any precautionary steps that need to be taken in this instance?

13. Back To Top    #13

You just wait until you have to cut the liner for the main drain - gulp, that's gonna be gut check time man!!

I installed my AGP last year and cutting that skimmer return (which in hind sight is pretty easy) was stressful, I can only imagine a main drain for an in-ground. Not saying you can't do it, but when your standing there with the knife - stressful
    20' X 54" Sharkline Matrix Resin AGP, 9400 Gallons, Sta-Rite 1 HP Dynamo Pump, 150 lb Pentair Sand Filter, Gorilla Pad,
    Foam Cove, Taylor K-2006 kit, BBB method, 8'X20' Fafco Sunsaver Hard Plumb, DIY Fountain, Margarittaville Fiji

My Build: one-man-one-pool-and-one-deck-agp-pics-t37172.html
    My Build 'To-Do' List for other DIY'ers: my-pool-build-list-t40249.html?hilit=list

14. Back To Top    #14

Bump

15. Back To Top    #15

Wondering what happened. I have to replace my liner and am considering have a guy I know who has done 10+ of them but is not a pool guy do it. The only thing holding me back is I live in a high water table area and its making me nervous. Now would be perfect since we are having a drought but I dont have the money right now and have to wait till spring. Did you end up doing it? what did you find out?
    Cleveland, Ohio
    IG 36,000 gallons. Vinyl Liner, Hayward ProGrid 3620 DE Filter, Hayward Super Pump, Hayward Gas Heater

16. Back To Top    #16

Never did it, worried about the high water level in our area also. Now I have water behind my liner and its getting small tears above the water line. It also has water wrinkling the bottom I just had another quote 4 grand. I might just order one up in august and go for it.

17. Back To Top    #17

I guess if were me... and I bought my AGP, deconstructed it, moved it, reconstructed it at home, installed the liner, and replaced my liner 7 years later, and I had a very high water table, I would have the professionals install my IG liner. They know who to deal with the water intrusion from the high water table and have the proper equipment to install it while keeping the swamp at bay.

Just my 2 cents. Good luck and

Just kidding. Take pictures, I would love to see it... before, during and after.
    -- Guy --
    10K gallons in 21' Round 52 inch wall Aqualeader AG, Hayward Power Flow LX 1.5 HP pump motor, Hayward Perflex EC50AC DE filter w/Cellulose, Wide mouth skimmer, 2013 new Diver Dan (craigslist) to replace the faded old Hayward AquaBug. TF-100

18. Back To Top    #18

Cinder blocks got dragged into the pool by the wind. Insurance is covering the replacement.

Before: Last summer

Before: This spring

19. Back To Top    #19

All ready! Really glad I chose the ocean beach pattern from GLI