Introduction

Mar 28, 2012
Tampa Bay, Florida
Hi. My user ID is hoosierrun (AKA John). I used to live in Indiana but moved to Florida a long time ago. We own a 40 year old house with a 35 year old pool. All the pumps and filters are the original Anthony equipment (CF6 bronze pump and VA26 filter). There are 2 identical sets of equipment; one for the pool and one for an adjoining 8 foot built-in concrete spa. Both are in bad need of Gunite re-surfacing. Everything works, but just needs updating which is a huge financial consideration. The spa heater is also an Anthony unit that burns very expensive Propane (now over $5 a gallon up from under $1 when we moved there!!). The pool stays open year around and I have used several versions of the Kreepy Krauly cleaners over the years. The pool is open to the outside and with many oak trees in the area, it needs constant cleaning. This is a very typical setup for the older Tampa Bay, Florida homes.

I hope to gain some insight from this board and will contribute my many years of knowledge as a DIYer pool owner.