filter sand

sand filter

Can anyone tell me if cleaning my sand in my filter will work? I read somewhere, thought it was on here, but can't find it now, that sand does NOT smooth out and all you need to do is flush out trash with a water hose. Any recommendations?

Yeah, you just take the top off and flush it out with a hose. But first, why do you think you need to clean or replace it?

If you do decide to clean it, be careful when sticking the hose into the sand that you don't force it too hard and damage the laterals.

Yeah sorry about that. I am new to this and wasnt sure where I needed to post it. I have not replaced my sand in a number of years, and I have been having ALOT of trouble maintaining my pool. I have had the pool for 22 years, thought I knew everything. Ha. Then I found this website. Gonna try the BBB system for the first time this year.

Machelle said:
Yeah sorry about that. I am new to this and wasnt sure where I needed to post it.
No problem, might as well stick to this thread.
Machelle said:
I have not replaced my sand in a number of years, and I have been having ALOT of trouble maintaining my pool.
I for one do not believe that is typical for sand to "wear out" in residential pool filter applications. However, this is a highly debated topic and I am not sure we have consensus on this board. Take a look at this link, particularly the pictures that Teapot took: http://www.troublefreepool.com/sand-filter-expert-help-t30049.html
Machelle said:
I have had the pool for 22 years, thought I knew everything. Ha. Then I found this website. Gonna try the BBB system for the first time this year.
Great! We would be very happy to help! It might help to read this poolschool article to get you started: http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-school/read_before_you_post then post some test results.

Thanks. Those pics that teapot took were the ones I was looking for. I just didnt know where to look. I have flushed my filter with a water hose daily since saturday. Then drained it each nite and dipped the trash off the top of the sand that had settled back down. Took a long time to drain Saturday, but yesterday, drained really fast. Not much trash on top anymore either. I'm thinking of buying one bag of sand and use maybe a quarter of it, since I have scooped some of it out. Any opinions?

Well, since you asked for opinions I feel it is my duty to put mine out there. I am of the opinion that sand will last a good number of years before it needs to be replaced. You will read about people that have had the same sand 15-20 years. Before I went and changed the sand or added more sand I would make sure the filter is back flushed and then get all of my ducks in a row and get going on the BBB system and see how your pool does. It is possible that you have channeling in your sand and that can be fixed by opening up the filter and stirring the sand around a bit. You will be surprised at how the BBB system will improve the way your pool looks. If you still have minor issues you can look into adding DE to your sand filter. I use DE in mine and it give the pool a little extra sparkle. Read pool school and make sure you have the correct test kits.

Thanks badoleross. As stated in my last post, I have flushed the sand with waterhose and stirred it up. Seems like it had a lot of gunk in it. Looks a good bit cleaner now. What Im curious about is, since I have scooped some of the sand out, should I put part of a bag of new sand in?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
If you took out any significant amount of sand, you should replace it, but you don't want to put in lots of extra sand. If you find the manual for your filter you can probably find out what level the sand should come up to.

My filter is a RS? 2515. There are 2 raised lines on the outside of the filter on each side of it. Could this be the fill lines for the sand? If so, I am about 10 inches low on sand. Thanks for all your help. Hope I have a better year. :?

Having trouble with the water not staying clear. Had to drop out and vacum it every couple of weeks last year just to keep it fairly nice. I have a polaris and when I first moved into the house 22 years ago, I NEVER had to vacum manually. I didnt even know how for a very long time. But, I am going to try the BBB system for the first time this year. Hopefully, clean sand and new system will help. I hate to vacum manually.

Bama Rambler said:
Most sand filters are usually filled 2/3rds to 3/4ths full but it's hard to say exactly without a real measurement. Hopefully they'll contact you soon and give you an accurate answer.

They told me 300 lbs is correct and the lines are not fill lines. That's all they said. I am just concerned now if the person that changed it last put enough sand in it because I have had trouble keeeping my water clear for several years now. It is not even half full now, and I didnt scoop that much out.

The best thing to do at this point is to replace it so you'll know how much is in it.

I really doubt that's the cause of your issues though. You can post a full set of test results once you get it back running and we'll be glad to help you get it straightened out.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.