Retro fitting a Intex Filter Pump and Chlorinator Combo

Apr 25, 2011
Hi,

I have searched from end to end on this forum, and have not found a post that matches my situation. I have been using the Intex saltwater pump chlorinator and filter combo for about 3 years, on an Intex 15' x 48" metal frame pool. I would like to employ a sand filter this year, but do not want to give up the combo unit for chlorine generation, since it is still functional. Does anybody have any experience with disconnecting the pump and paper filter unit from the system, and tieing in a sand filter?

My reasoning is that I would like to run the sand filter periodically over the course of the day, connected to a timer, and having the saltwater generator set for a specific time to match with one of the sand filter pump cycles. I have previously used a 1/2 HP water pump pool, farm, pond, biodiesel motor from Harbor Freight, to run the pool skimmer. It has worked ok, but has also been a pain in the keister as well, hence my desire to consolidate.

hopefully this will generate some dialogue, and I can get on with my re-engineering project in time for swimming season that is just around the corner, in Houston.

Kurt

Welcome to TFP!

It isn't very difficult to plumb the unit so water flows through the SWG without going through the pump or the filter. However, my memory of that unit is that the control electronics control both the pump and the SWG together, and won't run the SWG unless the pump is also on. I think you could cut the cord between the control box and the pump motor to defeat that, but if you did that the unit would never work normally again.

I have done some further digging and discovered that it might work! For a test, I totally disconnected the pump from the power. I taped the flow sensor to "trick" it to believe there was abundant flow. I powered the unit and set the controls for a 1 hour chlorination. About 10 minutes later, I recieved a "91" low salt code!!!. This tells me that it is not missing the pump, and that once connected inline with the pump/filter; it should work correctly!!!

check out the following post:

custom-pvc-pipe-adapter-for-intex-pools-t28971.html

I used the fittings mentioned by Raza. they are electrical fittings, but fit perfect for the 2" inlet and the 1.25" exit. I will try to get some pics of what I did. As far as I can tell, it should work great, but reflect on one of my electronics instructors who questioned you with the acronym "TSW" which meant "This should work...huh"?

I will know for sure, as I plan to have the pool operational by the end of this weekend..

Sorry I posted too soon. It looks like Lowes has them on their site.

Thanks for the help.

I would still love to see pics of yours and if possible what wires you disconnected to take power away from the filter/pump

This is a first for me, but here are some pics of my home manufactured fittings for the Intex 56601E Saltwater System For Above ground Pool.
This is just the two individual fittings. I will post more when it is all connected.

Attachments

• swgen1 (640x482).jpg
    swgen1 (640x482).jpg
    357.6 KB · Views: 176
  • swgen2 (640x482).jpg
    swgen2 (640x482).jpg
    408.8 KB · Views: 175
  • swgen3 (640x482).jpg
    swgen3 (640x482).jpg
    341.3 KB · Views: 175

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
hard plumbed everything today and WOW what a difference over the hoses, however I have one freaking leak, exactly where I thought it would be. I disconnected and the filter and cut the power to the pump that part is fine. Then I ran directly from the hayward DE filter to the SWG piece of the combo. I used a 2 inch box adapter however I went from the box adapter directly to a 2 to 1.5 inch reducer. That didn't seal real well however my leak is at the intex 2 piece nut and the box adapter. I plan to take the box adapter out and get a new one and put a small 2 inch piece then into a reducer. What's the secret to fixing leaks. I will post a photo later tonight. Any input is appreciated

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.