Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Discoloration of Plaster in New Pool

1. Back To Top    #1

Discoloration of Plaster in New Pool

So we had our pool plastered and filled on March 17th. We have been brushing twice daily and it seems our plaster (a medium gray) has a lot of white discoloration in it. The PB says this is normal, but I am just not sure. My other friends have pretty much light colored plaster, but ours is fairly dark and shows the discoloration pretty well. I will try to post a pic, but is this normal?
    16,400 gallons, Pentair 30" sand filter, IG plaster, Pentair 2 HP Pump, Pentair Model 120 Heatpump, Rainbow 320 Chlorinator (no longer used), Polaris 280 Cleaning System, Doheny's Discovery Robotic Cleaner, WPC2 Controller

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Discoloration of Plaster in New Pool

Sounds like white spot etching. Search the forums and you'll find a couple of threads on this. Others have said it is caused by how the product is mixed and/or how it's applied.

I believe I have it. Some think it's scale. I'm not sure you could have developed scale in the short time you filled your pool.

Overall, I'm fine with my plaster finish. I was told by pretty much everyone that I should expect some discoloration with my Luna Quartz finish.
    9,200 gal. Gunite Luna Quartz French Grey pool with spill over spa, two fountains on tanning ledge (rarely used)
    Pentair Whisperflo 2HP, Pentair CCP Cartridge 420 Sq. Ft., Polaris 280 with booster pump
    Pentair EasyTouch 4, RayPak LoNox 266k Natural Gas heater, Aqua Rite SWCG T Cell 9, Borates, TF-100 test kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Discoloration of Plaster in New Pool

Thanks, I will do some searching on the topic you suggested. We have the PB coming out on Friday for our pool school and I will also discuss with them.
    16,400 gallons, Pentair 30" sand filter, IG plaster, Pentair 2 HP Pump, Pentair Model 120 Heatpump, Rainbow 320 Chlorinator (no longer used), Polaris 280 Cleaning System, Doheny's Discovery Robotic Cleaner, WPC2 Controller