Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Screened Room

1. Back To Top    #1

Screened Room

Just found this board and impressed with all the knowledge that can be obtained and has been thought about on just a simple pool..

I am in the process of designing out a pool for my kids, 18' ultra, but where I live in Florida, I have a huge amount of bugs in the evening hours, that would render the pool useless. Has anybody found or know of an inexpensive screen room that can be constructed to enclose a pool of this size (on a budget)? I have found screened enclosures up to 14' and that is it.... I have thought of using a metal framed carport (not wide enough) or even constructing a PVC frame and somehow attaching screen... But any suggestions would be appreciated.

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry
    New Orleans, LA
    Josh Ulfers - TFP Supporting Vendor - - 888-725-8766 - AutoPilot Pool Pilot Systems, Parts & Cells - AquaCal Heat Pumps

3. Back To Top    #3

New Caney, Texas

Re: Screened Room

Hi and welcome to the forum CuLaytur!
    18' x 42" Intex (4786 Gal @ 80% capacity) Intex 8110 SWCG, 2000 GPH cartridge filter.
    Full Sun, Well Water, Borates at approx. 50
    TFTestKit-100--The Pool Calculator--Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks for the link... Exactly what I was looking for and didn't think to google "screen dome"... Found a bunch of hits... Also, looking at building a geodesic dome from pvc pipe or electrical conduit, the screen covering is about the hardest part of this....

5. Back To Top    #5

Tampa Bay, Florida

I'd be a little concerned about the typical thunderstorms and wind that we have in Florida. I see it is only rated for 40-45 MPH.
    A lot of Florida pools have aluminum reinforced screen enclosures, but they are expensive and they add to the homeowner's insurance rates.
    Perhaps a much cheaper solution to the bugs might be a couple of bug zappers safely located a bit from the pool (be careful of using 120VAC near any water and protect all circuits with a GFI breaker). I believe there are also propane powered bug zappers but I don't know the effectivenes of them. That might be an interim solution until a more durable enclosure can be installed.
    John (DIYer). Concrete, approximately 13,000 gallon inground pool with adjoining concrete spa. Approximately 35 years old. Legacy Anthony Sta-Rite bronze pump CF6, VA-26 filter,(2 sets), new Rheem propane heater for spa. HASA Liquidator for pool.