Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New jets for FL pool from 1964

1. Back To Top    #1

New jets for FL pool from 1964

Hello TFP-

I am looking for replacement return jets (inlets) for a IG pool built in 1964. Given it's age, it has some rather interesting plumbing. It's a 16x32 rectangle with only 2 return jets and 1 skimmer. There is no diverter valve to control flow from the skimmer or main drain. Rather, there is a passive connection from the skimmer to the main drain, ie- only 1 line to the pump. I'm trying to find replacement return jets, but I haven't found anything I can mate to the ports in the wall. When I showed the fittings to a local pool guy, he said that he'd "never seen those things before". Can anyone tell me where I can find some fittings for these things?

Here's what I have:
    1) The return lines are 1-1/2" in diameter and smooth, i.e.- not threaded.
    2) The nozzle is contained in a 2" diameter ball which is held to the faceplate with 3 screws.

Here are a couple of picture to help:
    [attachment=2:2lmtvllb]IMG_1348.jpg[/attachment:2lmtvllb]
    [attachment=1:2lmtvllb]IMG_1349.jpg[/attachment:2lmtvllb]
    [attachment=0:2lmtvllb]IMG_1350.jpg[/attachment:2lmtvllb]

Any suggestions for replacements would be super!
    Thanks-
    -stephen
    Attached Images Attached Images
    23KG 16x32 gunite, 120 sqft cartridge filter, 768 sqft solar panels, CircuPool RJ45 SWG

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New jets for FL pool from 1964

How about using a pipe extender and a regular eyeball fitting? The pipe extender glues into the inside of the pipe and then you can glue the regular eyeball fitting onto the outside part of the extender.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

I had a similar question with a recent re-plaster on a family owned property and we ended up just digging out the existing pipe and as part of the job, selected to use open-end 2.5 centimeter pipe

We added one extra 2.5 cm return (2 before, 3 after job) from the variable speed pump which greatly reduced pressures and allowed us to run a pipe to the extreme far end of the pool (same dimensions as yours..) which has the added benefit of circulating any debris at the bottom and it's pushed into the deep end automatically (even when poolvergnuegen does not run due to automation reduction in flow GPM).

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks for the feedback-

I've been to several stores now and have yet to find anyone who knows what theses parts are. I guess I either have to have a few parts custom made or go with Bama's suggestion.

Bama- Do you have any pictures or part numbers for the parts you describe or know where I can get them?

Thanks-
    -stephen
    23KG 16x32 gunite, 120 sqft cartridge filter, 768 sqft solar panels, CircuPool RJ45 SWG

5. Back To Top    #5

Here is a link to the extenders and Here is a link to the wall fitting.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump

6. Back To Top    #6

I see. Thanks for the links!
    -stephen

7. Back To Top    #7

BTW-

If I cement the pipe extender to the fitting, will I have to drain the pool down below the jet level? Or, is there a PVC cement that I can do this underwater?

Thanks-
    -stephen

8. Back To Top    #8

I'd lower the pool to just below the jets, but they make a cement that will work underwater. Mr Sticky's is one. I've never used it so I can't attest to it's use.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by suhlhorn
    I am looking for replacement return jets (inlets) for a IG pool built in 1964... I'm trying to find replacement return jets, but I haven't found anything I can mate to the ports in the wall. When I showed the fittings to a local pool guy, he said that he'd "never seen those things before". Can anyone tell me where I can find some fittings for these things?
    I know this is an older thread but I'm wondering if you ever found replacements? I have the same set up but the wall fixtures are metal and about 2.5" in diameter.

Sure would like to find some jets that would just screw on...

Dennis
    29K gal. 20'X40', 3.5'X8', IG (concrete w/Diamond Brite), Hayward S244T, Jacuzzi 1.5hp., built circa 1968