Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: pool pad

1. Back To Top    #1

pool pad

I'm going to put an agp on a slope. I had a pad dug out last summer so all the dirt would be settled and packed by this spring, but I just realized we went about 6" too deep . I know the pool is supposed to be installed on hard ground, so I was thinking about adding back about 6" of chert, which packs very hard and quick. I'm about 1 1/2 months away from install so it will be settled by then, and I'll pack it when we level it. And since I'm going up all the way around and not just on one side, I don't see any problems with this. Any opinions?

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry
    Exeter, PA

Re: pool pad

Do you already have the liner? If not why not just order it to fit the extra depth?
    X-Pert Pool Service
    X-Pert Pool on Facebook and @XPertPoolServic on Twitter
    22,000 gal / 16' x 32' / Vinyl / Hayward s244t /Pentair SuperFlo 1 hp

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

dbr25 I don't know where you are but building a pool on any backfilled dirt is a really bad idea. Dirt will settle for years. At least in my part of the world. We recommend rock if you have to fill an area to install a pool.
    Over 30 years in the pool business
    We build vinyl, fiberglass, stainless steel pools
    Certified in Hydraulics

4. Back To Top    #4
    SouthWest Alabama

db, Read through a bunch of the install threads and you'll see what other people have done. A pool full of water weighs in the hundreds of thousands of pounds (Mine weighs 108,000). You don't want that shifting.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

5. Back To Top    #5
    Sault Ontario

PS - neither do your neighbours!
    20' X 54" Sharkline Matrix Resin AGP, 9400 Gallons, Sta-Rite 1 HP Dynamo Pump, 150 lb Pentair Sand Filter, Gorilla Pad,
    Foam Cove, Taylor K-2006 kit, BBB method, 8'X20' Fafco Sunsaver Hard Plumb, DIY Fountain, Margarittaville Fiji

My Build: one-man-one-pool-and-one-deck-agp-pics-t37172.html
    My Build 'To-Do' List for other DIY'ers: my-pool-build-list-t40249.html?hilit=list

6. Back To Top    #6

Depending on your make and model recessing 6" below grade might not be a big deal. Just factor in a french drain to keep the rain and overflow from collecting against the pool.
    Or you could put your posts on block and then fill the pool pad with sand 6". Sand, once in place doesn't need to be compacted.
    [center:3mtfbpf9]When the only tool you have is a hammer everything starts looking like a nail.[/center:3mtfbpf9]
    Doughboy 16x24 "Aboveground Inground" in progress...