Do I need a new pump...

or is something replaceable to get it running?

I've been running it 24/7 because when I turn it off it takes a while to start up again. It turns on immediately but the "pump action" doesn't start for a few seconds. I had it on a timer but was scared it wouldn't turn on correctly. Well yesterday there was a power surge for a few seconds and then the power went out completely. When I went to turn the pump back on after the power came back on it laughed at me! It sounds like it's running but it will not turn on. I knocked it with a hammer to see if that would get it started but nothing. Do I need to get a whole new pump or can I check/change something that may not be working? Also, this is a 2HP pump. Should I just bite the bullet and get a 1HP 2 speed? If so, what are the recommendations?

THANKS!

It might be something as simple as a motor - which is replaceable (usually). In which case - I'd look for the 2HP 2 speed motor with the same Service Factor (often abbreviated SF). For an adequate replacement, the THP of the new motor (high speed) should be equal or more than the THP of the old motor(THP (Total Horsepower) = Rated HP * Service Factor)). It also must have the same frame size - 56Y and 48Y are the most common. If you go this route - be sure to get a replacement pump seal kit as well.

If you are considering a replacement pump - yes, a 1 HP 2 speed (or even a 3/4 HP 2 speed) should be plenty for your pool.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.