Switching customers from trichlor

acdpool

In The Industry
Mar 21, 2012
Hoping some other pros chime in here.
I just gained a mass amount of clients that formally belonged to one guy.

His method was raise cl with liquid cl then toss in one pool tab each week. His theory was that it would maintain cl the full week with out raising cya too much.

Well what he did worked and te owners drained half their pools over the course of a year (couple feet now and then)

I don't like this method. I usually stick to something as close to the bbb method as I can.
How ever am scared of switching people off of what they know. ( usually when we return algae has just started to grow in the past 36 hours)

Has any one had success changing people off of pool tabs
What logic did you offer them as they don't seem to mind due to it being "my problem"
This guy really screwed stuff up some pools are upwards of 130 cya. Others are at twenty..

I am hesitant to add borax for anything but minor ph aid due to it still being in the grey area of the laws. : technically using 20 mule is illegal .

Visiting only once a week creates challenges for the BBB approach. One solution is a SWG, but that is a major capital expense that you can't count on people being willing to get. Another approach, fairly drastic, is to raise CYA really high and give massive doses of chlorine once a week. That approach has some challenges, like measuring PH requires a meter instead of the test kit, but can work out. Another approach is to use something like the Liquidator to feed chlorine at a more or less steady rate. They are inexpensive enough that there is some hope of including it "for free" with your service, though that might be a stretch. Depending on where you are, cal hypo feeders might be an option.

Borax from the grocery store is questionable, but essentially the same chemical in bulk (sodium tetra borate pentahydrate) is fine. It is sold for pool use under a variety of brand names and can also be purchased from chemical supply houses.

My in-laws have had a pool service for 30 years and they supply them with an extra gallon of 12% liquid to use during the week during swim season. It has not been 100% fool proof, but it has worked well for them.

Well the bbb method is more or less what we use with most people a high initial cl and 50 ppm cya.

However with weekly service that leads to slight algae at weeks end which is fine. However these guys are used to his bad approach even tho it gives good results.

Ping I like that idea . But in Florida it worries me with the amount of seniors. I don't want them to worry about handling chemicals.
This is more of a question of shifting reasonable expectations for a weekly pool service that doesn't cost them hundreds in refills each year and what you have told them

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.