Should I paint my pool/spa?

Mar 27, 2012
My gunite pool and spa are about 7 years old. Last year I had them professionaly drained and acid washed. Immediately after I noticed that the plaster is wearing off in many places. Although the pool still looks Ok, (mostly because it is deeper I think) the spa looks pretty bad. It seems to be mostly cosmetic at this point so I figured I would just get my spa redone this year and wait a year to do the rest of the pool. After being quoted $1000, I thought maybe I should just paint the spa for now. There are many sites online trying to sell different types of paint for pools. Any thoughts?

Most paint jobs on pools or spas are only good for a couple of years no matter what paint you use. Are the costs justifiable for just a couple of years use? Babying it till you can get a complete replaster done is probably a better option. Maybe a few patches in places that need it might be better.

Don't!

My brother in law painted his pool. It got chalky. No, that's not quite right, because chalk is dry. It developed a coat of slime. People that used it would come out with pale blue stains where they rubbed against the wals. Then he drained it again, stripped it all, and bought some better paint in Nevada, because California forbids it. But it didn't all stick right. So he drained it again, and bought some more of the good paint to try touching it up. That's a whole lot of work and water. And now he has a suction leak somewhere, but that's another issue altogether. Although he may have cracked a pipe if his pool floated during all the empty time.

The rule for paint - any paint: car, house, pool, spray - is: it doesn't hide anything, it only changes its color. If the spa is rough, it will still be rough, just a more even color.

Is there no product out there that is safe and will work correctly besides completely replastering? I am Ok with just getiing a couple years out of it for just my spa. I guess my thought was that I could paint the spa this year-cheap. Then replaster the pool and spa all at the same time next year or even two years from now.

It just really isn't worth the effort. There's nothing functionally wrong with rough or chipping plaster, so I would recommend just living with it until you can do the whole replastering. If the edges of the chips are too rough, you can take some waterproof sandpaper to it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.