Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Should I paint my pool/spa?

1. Back To Top    #1

Should I paint my pool/spa?

My gunite pool and spa are about 7 years old. Last year I had them professionaly drained and acid washed. Immediately after I noticed that the plaster is wearing off in many places. Although the pool still looks Ok, (mostly because it is deeper I think) the spa looks pretty bad. It seems to be mostly cosmetic at this point so I figured I would just get my spa redone this year and wait a year to do the rest of the pool. After being quoted $1000, I thought maybe I should just paint the spa for now. There are many sites online trying to sell different types of paint for pools. Any thoughts?
    15,300 gal, 24' round 52" high AG Silver Lake by Doughboy, Hayward S-180T sand filter, Magnetek Century pool/spa motor ¾ hp 10 SPL

2. Back To Top    #2
    SouthWest Alabama

Re: Should I paint my pool/spa?

Most paint jobs on pools or spas are only good for a couple of years no matter what paint you use. Are the costs justifiable for just a couple of years use? Babying it till you can get a complete replaster done is probably a better option. Maybe a few patches in places that need it might be better.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3
    San Dimas, CA (LA County)

My brother in law painted his pool. It got chalky. No, that's not quite right, because chalk is dry. It developed a coat of slime. People that used it would come out with pale blue stains where they rubbed against the wals. Then he drained it again, stripped it all, and bought some better paint in Nevada, because California forbids it. But it didn't all stick right. So he drained it again, and bought some more of the good paint to try touching it up. That's a whole lot of work and water. And now he has a suction leak somewhere, but that's another issue altogether. Although he may have cracked a pipe if his pool floated during all the empty time.

The rule for paint - any paint: car, house, pool, spray - is: it doesn't hide anything, it only changes its color. If the spa is rough, it will still be rough, just a more even color.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

4. Back To Top    #4

Is there no product out there that is safe and will work correctly besides completely replastering? I am Ok with just getiing a couple years out of it for just my spa. I guess my thought was that I could paint the spa this year-cheap. Then replaster the pool and spa all at the same time next year or even two years from now.
    15,300 gal, 24' round 52" high AG Silver Lake by Doughboy, Hayward S-180T sand filter, Magnetek Century pool/spa motor ¾ hp 10 SPL

5. Back To Top    #5
    Tucson, AZ

It just really isn't worth the effort. There's nothing functionally wrong with rough or chipping plaster, so I would recommend just living with it until you can do the whole replastering. If the edges of the chips are too rough, you can take some waterproof sandpaper to it.
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!
    TF Test Kits -- PoolMath -- Pool School
    Make each day your masterpiece. - John Wooden