Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Water behind Liner ... New Liner or can i fix?

1. Back To Top    #1

Water behind Liner ... New Liner or can i fix?

The perfect storm occurred. Pool pump went out and heavy rains happened. Pool crested. Puu in sump pump but was too late. Now pool liner has alot of water behind it and I have been reading but not alot of info out there on how to remove. Saw a youtube video where guy got his back up but not how he did it.

Liner just replaced last year. Do I have to replace it or is there a way to repair/reposition it?????
    IG-vinyl liner, 39,000 gallons, Hayward 1 1/2 hp super pump, Sand filter (not sure on flow)
    Locale - NE Texas

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Water behind Liner ... New Liner or can i fix?

You should have a well point somewhere around your pool. Most likely on the deep end. If you do, drop a submersible pump in there and pump it out. Over time the water behind the liner will recede and the liner should go back in place.

If the liner's just a year I can't imagine that it would have to be replaced even if you have to drain the pool and have it reset (which you shouldn't have to do).
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Can't offer a lot of help but I do know that a lot of posters say that you can only drain the pool within 1-2 years of liner install without compromising the liner, so (if that's the case) your still within that window, so it may be that draining the pool (partially or completely) is at least an option.
    20' X 54" Sharkline Matrix Resin AGP, 9400 Gallons, Sta-Rite 1 HP Dynamo Pump, 150 lb Pentair Sand Filter, Gorilla Pad,
    Foam Cove, Taylor K-2006 kit, BBB method, 8'X20' Fafco Sunsaver Hard Plumb, DIY Fountain, Margarittaville Fiji

My Build: one-man-one-pool-and-one-deck-agp-pics-t37172.html
    My Build 'To-Do' List for other DIY'ers: my-pool-build-list-t40249.html?hilit=list

4. Back To Top    #4

The water "behind the liner" is just ground water in the pool hole, and is just from the heavy rain. Essentially you have an equal amount of water inside and outside the pool, meaning the weight of the water in the pool no longer pushes the liner against the walls, so it's just kind of floating there.

If your ground water situation is such that it happens often, then you may have had a provision for pumping it out as Bama mentioned. If you can get a well-point into the gravel backfill around your pool, you can pump the water away. Since my yard slopes away from my pool, I have a gravity drained perimeter line in mine to prevent build-up of ground water.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

5. Back To Top    #5

Do not have a "well point" that i know of.
    Do I just wait and see?

I have drained about 2 1/2 ft of water out.
    Do i drain the pool completely?
    Do I refill the water i already drained out?
    Do i try and use pump placed behind the liner remove water?
    IG-vinyl liner, 39,000 gallons, Hayward 1 1/2 hp super pump, Sand filter (not sure on flow)
    Locale - NE Texas

6. Back To Top    #6

Get that water back in there!! Without a well point, you have no choice but to wait for the groundwater to go back down. With a little diligence and a little luck, you can wiggle the liner around to make sure it goes back in the right place. Is the water warm enough to get in?
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!
    TF Test Kits -- PoolMath -- Pool School
    Make each day your masterpiece. - John Wooden

7. Back To Top    #7

The central question is did the liner shift, or is it simply bowing out from the walls. If it didn't shift, all you need to do is add more water to the pool (if it isn't totally full already) and wait. If the liner shifted a little, you need to push it back into place. If the liner shifted a lot you may need to wait for the ground water to go down, drain the pool and then reset the liner.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

8. Back To Top    #8

Toast ????
    [attachment=2:2urjqaxx]pool corner.jpg[/attachment:2urjqaxx]
    [attachment=1:2urjqaxx]pool corner 2.jpg[/attachment:2urjqaxx]
    [attachment=0:2urjqaxx]pool corner 3.jpg[/attachment:2urjqaxx]
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Locale - NE Texas

9. Back To Top    #9

It is impossible to tell for sure without seeing the bottom more clearly, but casually, that looks like it will be alright. Add some water to the pool, paying attention during the fill process to see if the liner is going back into place correctly. If the wrinkles start to get worse instead of better you should stop filling and re-evaluate.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

10. Back To Top    #10

Liner seems to be laying flat on sides. Must clear up water and will send you new pics when i can see bottom better. Thanks for all the info!
    Locale - NE Texas

11. Back To Top    #11

Bottom picture is same as 1st and 3rd pics from earlier post. Steps are to show murkiness and can't see bottom yet. Cholrine from non existent to off the chart.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg 2.jpg (196.2 KB, 184 views)
    • File Type: jpg 5.jpg (89.5 KB, 183 views)
    • File Type: jpg 1.jpg (191.5 KB, 183 views)
    Locale - NE Texas

12. Back To Top    #12

Chlorine from non existent to off the chart.
    You need a better chart!

Seriously, when shocking, you need a FAS-DPD test. You don't know if you're reaching or maintaining shock level without it.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump

13. Back To Top    #13

Roger that. Have a TF-100 kit. Just wanted a quickie.
    Locale - NE Texas

14. Back To Top    #14

That's good. I use the OTO test all the time for a reality check just to make sure there's chlorine in there.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator

15. Back To Top    #15

Quote Originally Posted by smithp
    Do not have a "well point" that i know of.
    You can have a well-point installed for a reasonable fee in most cities.

16. Back To Top    #16

Thanks for all the help. Looks like liner is in place but can't see deep end yet (another post with #'s). Again thanks for the guidance.
    Locale - NE Texas