"DE has built up and 'bridged' grids in filter."

Thinkly

Oct 12, 2009
Overland Park, KS
Can someone explain what this means exactly? I am three days post opening and still trying to get my water right, but one thing is consistent from last year. I continue to have a slightly milky or cloudy look to my water. It isn't the crystal clear water I used to have in the past.

I am presently trying to decide whether it is a hardware issue or a chemical issue and found this link which mentions DE building up and bridging grids?

Given the other issues you've been having, I'd say don't worry about it just yet. Like Bama said, there's nothing wrong with opening it up and cleaning it out to be sure, but I'd keep up those partial drains for CYA before you worry about your equipment :goodjob:

Melt In The Sun said:
Given the other issues you've been having, I'd say don't worry about it just yet. Like Bama said, there's nothing wrong with opening it up and cleaning it out to be sure, but I'd keep up those partial drains for CYA before you worry about your equipment :goodjob:

I just cleaned it last week prior to opening. I am just curious what they mean by bridging the grids? I always have de caked between my grids at the end of the year.

These were my test results from yesterday. As mentioned in other posts, I am planning to attempt a partial drain once my cya reagent arrives so I can test.

FC 48
CC 0
TC 48
pH 7.5
TA 230
CYA 100 +

Additionally, after further examination, it seems like the term cloudy doesn't really describe my water. In full sun it has more of an "oily" appearance like perhaps baby oil. Don't misunderstand, I am not saying it looks like there is oil in my water.

It's just that the water is a bit opaque rather than crystal clear. I keep thinking baby oil when I look at it.

Thinkly, my filter is "Bridged" every time I break it down and clean it. I really don't know how to prevent it but it hasn't had an effect on my water clarity. I have an FNS 60 and if I follow there recommendations for charging after breakdown( 12 1lb. coffee cans full of DE) the bottom 12" of the grids are "Bridged"! So I have been backing off the amount I put in and it does lessen the "Bridging" but it doesn't stop it. Also make sure your vent/breather at the top inside your tank is not blocked. Not sure what filter you have but FNS's have a vent at the top, if it gets clogged it will put DE back into the pool. Your FC is high are you doing a open up shock?

maxepr1 said:
Thinkly, my filter is "Bridged" every time I break it down and clean it. I really don't know how to prevent it but it hasn't had an effect on my water clarity. I have an FNS 60 and if I follow there recommendations for charging after breakdown( 12 1lb. coffee cans full of DE) the bottom 12" of the grids are "Bridged"! So I have been backing off the amount I put in and it does lessen the "Bridging" but it doesn't stop it. Also make sure your vent/breather at the top inside your tank is not blocked. Not sure what filter you have but FNS's have a vent at the top, if it gets clogged it will put DE back into the pool. Your FC is high are you doing a open up shock?

I have an FNS Plus 36 sq. ft. and yes I have the vent/breather. I do not believe I am putting any DE in the pool as I have done the sock test on the returns and the returned water seems clear. I have high FC because yes I just opened.

My current plan is to to some major drain/refills as soon as time allows to try and make a dent in my cya.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.