Glass beads in pool

mxdad777

LifeTime Supporter
Mar 26, 2012
Northern California
I recently had a "friend" who does a lot of media blasting (just not on pools) help me clean my pool tile. I thought he was bringing over a media blaster that used baking soda, but instead he brought over a blaster that used very fine glass beads. It worked great and my tile looks like new, but now I get to deal with 75 pounds of glass beads in my pool. The filter has captured a lot of the beads, but there are still a lot in the pool. Every time the pool sweep is running, it will hit an area of the pool and a big cloud of white will be stirred up. The beads are so fine they just go right through the pool cleaner bag. When all the equipment is off and the water is calm, I can see big piles of media laying on the bottom of the pool. Any ideas on the best way to remove these from the pool? I really don't want to drain the pool, so I'm looking for other ideas. Would some type of vacuum work? Thanks for any help.

Both of the above suggestions are ok but they require that the beads go through the pump.

Those glass beads are very fine and since they were used blasting the tiles a lot of them are cracked apart. That's not an issue on a plaster pool but cleaning them up is. I'd try a manual suction side vac using a vacuum plate with a skimmer sock in place to catch most of them before they go through the pump. You don't want them "sand blasting" your impeller.

What I CAN say is to be real careful not to run your Polaris until you have the beads out of there. I had this done to my pool last year and it was a total nightmare. I had co completely tear down my Polaris and clean out the media before it would function properly again.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.