Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Glass beads in pool

1. Back To Top    #1

Glass beads in pool

I recently had a "friend" who does a lot of media blasting (just not on pools) help me clean my pool tile. I thought he was bringing over a media blaster that used baking soda, but instead he brought over a blaster that used very fine glass beads. It worked great and my tile looks like new, but now I get to deal with 75 pounds of glass beads in my pool. The filter has captured a lot of the beads, but there are still a lot in the pool. Every time the pool sweep is running, it will hit an area of the pool and a big cloud of white will be stirred up. The beads are so fine they just go right through the pool cleaner bag. When all the equipment is off and the water is calm, I can see big piles of media laying on the bottom of the pool. Any ideas on the best way to remove these from the pool? I really don't want to drain the pool, so I'm looking for other ideas. Would some type of vacuum work? Thanks for any help.
    32,000 Gallon Plaster Pool
    Hayward Aqua Plus 40k Gallon Chlorine Generator w/ Controls PL-PLUS
    Pentair IntelliFlo Variable Speed Pump
    Polaris 3900 Sport Automatic Pool Cleaner
    Polaris 3/4 hp Booster Pump
    Pentair/PacFab Nautilus D.E. Filter 48 Sq Ft

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Glass beads in pool

Are you able to vacuum to waste with a manual vac? That's what I would try first.
    12,800 gallon IG plaster kidney-shaped pool, waterslide, 800 gallon spa.
    1HP 2 speed Sta-Rite pool pump, 1.5 HP Sta-Rite spa jet pump. 2 skimmers, 1 main drain
    Purex-Triton TR-60 325 lb.sand filter. 2" Plumbing, Intex SWCG, TF-100 test kit.
    Link to pics of my pool! http://www.troublefreepool.com/my-oasis-t26558.html

3. Back To Top    #3

You can try adding a slime bag to your pool.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

Both of the above suggestions are ok but they require that the beads go through the pump.

Those glass beads are very fine and since they were used blasting the tiles a lot of them are cracked apart. That's not an issue on a plaster pool but cleaning them up is. I'd try a manual suction side vac using a vacuum plate with a skimmer sock in place to catch most of them before they go through the pump. You don't want them "sand blasting" your impeller.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

5. Back To Top    #5

Bama,I'm also dealing with cleaning up glass beads. Where do you put the skimmer sock if you have a dedicated vacuum line? Would it go in the pump basket?

6. Back To Top    #6

What I CAN say is to be real careful not to run your Polaris until you have the beads out of there. I had this done to my pool last year and it was a total nightmare. I had co completely tear down my Polaris and clean out the media before it would function properly again.

7. Back To Top    #7

i would say vaccum on waste