Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Drinking Water Chlorine level

1. Back To Top    #1

Drinking Water Chlorine level

Need help with a non pool question. I have a 300 gallon water tank that I want to add bleach to to prevent algae growth. Based on the pool calculator with a CYA of 20 which I know is more than I will have in tap water I will only need to add 1.9 ounces which is only 1/4 cup of bleach to maintain a FC level of 3.

Web states that drinking water acceptable limit is 4 ppm of chlorine. Is the FC a ppm number or different.

The water in the tank will not be used to drink but to bathe, wash dishes, brush teeth, etc...

Please help.
    18,500 gallons, Cartridge Filter, In Ground Plaster. Jandy CL460 Filter

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Drinking Water Chlorine level

It shouldn't have any CYA in it at all. If it is already good clean water...........I think 4 drops per gallon is what is recommended.........to maintain it at DRINKING water level. There are approximately 450 drops of bleach in one fluid ounce. So, a little more than 3 ounces is what I come up with. Hope that helped.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

3. Back To Top    #3

FC is measured in ppm, so the drinking water standard does convert directly to a standard FC measurement of 4.

Keep in mind that chlorine breaks down fairly quickly, so the actual FC level will be lower after several hours, and lower still the next day and so on.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

The container is sealed with a screw on lid. Will the FC still lower if there us no evaporation due to the sealed container?
    18,500 gallons, Cartridge Filter, In Ground Plaster. Jandy CL460 Filter

5. Back To Top    #5

It won't go down even remotely as quickly as it would outside (in hours), but it will still go down (in weeks).
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School