Black Spot Algae not going away :(

Mar 25, 2012
Welcome to TFP!

Looks like you need to shock your pool. Black algae is especially tough to get rid of. It requires high levels of chlorine over a longer period of time than the regular green stuff. Also, you really need to spend lots of time brushing the area(s) well.

Please read pool-school/defeating_algae and pool-school/shocking_your_pool.

You also really need a good test kit. There are a couple of choices at www.tftestkits.net.

thanx 257WbyMag and George .

according to the pool calculator, for my 40000 lt pool I need 5.2 liters or 2.6 (2 liter) jugs of 6% bleach.
so do I only add the bleach or do I add the liquid chlorine as well ?

sorry for asking silly questions.. really new to this.

and thanx a lot for helping me out and thanx for welcoming me here.

Do you have your own test kit? Pool stores are notorious for errors in pool tests. When shocking Bleach will be the cheapest way to go. And you will need your own test kit as you will be testing multiple times per day.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
George N said:
I and many others on this forum recommend this one: http://tftestkits.net/splash-page.html

There are others that you can read about in Pool School but I would go with this one.

I hope you have been reading Pool School in your spare time? :)

this mob http://tftestkits.net/splash-page.html dosent ship to Australia.... :(

I clicked on the pool school link on ur signature but that didnt work.... :p

yeah been reading it , but its huge and some of the terminology takes me time to absorb.

Take a steel brush and brush the spots to kill the head.. Take trichlor and sprinkle it over the black spots, the trichlor should start removing the spots. Do a test spot with the first to make sure it doesn't damage the plaster color..

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.