Installation questions

May 23, 2011
I am installing an 24' round above ground pool and had a friend come dig out the hole so that I could bury it and its about 4' deep and the pool sides are 54'' I was wondering if I can put 6''-1' of sand at the bottom and level it out instead of having to put more dirt back in it?

Also I wanted to install a bottom drain, will this work with it being buried? And the pump being 3ft above the bottom suction? Just wondering if it will still catch prime.

Thanks

Most above ground pumps need to be below the water surface level. As long as that is true, it doesn't matter how deep the actual bottom of the pool is.

You can have a couple of inches of sand. But, that is too much sand to insure a surface that will remain level. The thicker layer of sand will continue to shift after the pool is installed, causing problems.

You can fill with sand 6" to 1' as long as its toward the middle of the pool just make sure the installer compacts the sand, we had to do this on our pool and its fine.
is your pool designed to be in ground like your wanting to do?
You have to purchase a ag pool that is designed to be in ground or the sides will cave in.
I had a relative try this with a normal steel wall pool and it caved in.

Just to be clear, we had some fill in some toward the middle of the pool but the sides only have a couple of inches of sand, if your talking about back filling the entire pool floor 6-12" I wouldn't do that

Thanks for the respones everyone but I think I got some one to bring a bobcat to fill in a little and do it the right way.

As for as the pool being an above ground for inground it isnt. Its just a normal steel pool. Im in louisiana and my back yard is like CLAY, not saying it wont cave in but I guess thats a chance Ill have to take and lets just hope for the best.

Highlandreef, did they pool have a leak and stayed empited for a while before caving in?

Nope, it only made it a week at most, I don't remember exactly how many days offhand?
We are in Indiana and its also mostly clay, they made the same assumption that due to the hard ground it would be fine but it wasn't, they are well off so to them it wasn't that big of a deal, they just had an inground pool installed.

This is why they make AGP pools specifically for being buried, it's not just a scam to get more cash. If/when the pool collapses your warranty will be void.
Personally I'd recommend filling the hole in.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.