Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Crack in Vari-Flo valve replace with plunger type?

1. Back To Top    #1

Crack in Vari-Flo valve replace with plunger type?

I have an older type Hayword DE-6000 that I need to keep $$$, it's has small crack next to the threads by the pump port.
    I was looking at the parts list for this DE6000 filter and see on option for a plunger type valve at much less.

Vari-Flo Valve part SP0715XR50
    Slide Valve part SP0410X502S
    Both are 2" ports. The slide valve is about half the coast of the Vari-Flo.

One other question is when back-washing, I'm not thrilled with the job the DE6000 does , it leaves a lot of DE inside on the panels, do the slide valves have less resistance?

Thanks in advance

Ken
    Ken

Pool 22320 Gallons IG Plaster-DE Filter-2Hp & TF100 Test Kit.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Crack in Vari-Flo valve replace with plunger type?

I can't speak for all valves but I know that the Pentair 2" multi-port has about the same head loss as a Jandy slide valve but Jandy makes good valves so that may not be true for all valves. You might give Hayward a call and ask them. They usually have the data for the valves but don't always publish it.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

3. Back To Top    #3

Welcome to the forum

Just realize that you will loose the ability to:
    Recirculate (run the pump bypassing the filter) ... useful to keep water moving if you have filter repairs
    Waste (pump the water directly to waste bypassing the filter) ... useful for manual vacuuming
    Clean (pump water through the filter to waste) ... useful when backwashing and recharging

If $$ is an issue and you can accept loosing those abilities, then the slide valve with only Filter and Backwash capabilities would work for you.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks for all the info,
    I was in luck, I found a replacement part for for the Vari-Flo at Perrys Pool Pump. $45.00 + S.

Thanks again
    Ken

Pool 22320 Gallons IG Plaster-DE Filter-2Hp & TF100 Test Kit.