brand new pool chemicals

May 7, 2011
South Texas
Hello, we just had our pool installed this weekend and will have our water level up to the jets today and be able to turn on the pump. We live in the country and have very hard water (leaves white build up on everything) we did use our well water for filling.
Should I poor straight clorox into the water when we start it??
What should I use to get started with this hard water?
Should I use the low speed or high speed on the dual pump?
Thanks for any advise at this point in my journey!! I'll get it down eventually, and this site has been awesome for learning!!

As you indicated, well water can bring it's challenges. Iron stains on fiberglass are very common...do you know what the iron content is in your well water? To protect your pool you might want to drain and refill with known good water, but if you decide to continue with the well water, get a metal sequesterant in the water before adding chlorine (chlorine can cause the iron to precipitate)! Others may have more advice here. I would proceed cautiously!

What do you have for a test kit? That will be most important (see link in my sig).

We have to know where you are before we can advise on how to get where you want to go. A set of test results will tell us where you are.

My assumption is you want to live with the well water fill but we have to know it's characteristics before we can see if it needs modification or not.

Tests for Calcium Hardnes, pH, anf Total Alkalinity will get us started. :lol:

Okay, after 2 gallons of liquid shock circulated for2 days my results are FC- 0, CC- 0, TC -0, pH -8.2, T/A -400, CH -500, CYA-0
this was with my tab chlorinator set on 2. So I went up to 3 twenty-four hours ago & just tested again and it's not much better
FC -0.5, CC -0, TC -0.5, pH -8.2, T/A -330, CH -300, CYA -0.

Should I add some muratic acid to lower my pH??? I'm thinking I'll never get my chlorine right with the pH so high. If so, how much?
Or, should I shock again?

The pool LOOKS & feels great but I know I'm in for trouble as the weather heats up if I don't get this right now.

thanks for any advice :wink:

1. Lower your pH to 7.2 with muriatic acid

2. Bring your FC up to around 3-5ppm...do it with bleach don't count on the tabs to do it for you.

3. Add enough CYA to your pool to get to 30-40ppm. Add it seperately...don't count on the tabs to do this for you.

After you have done the above (in that order and you can do it all on the same day), then set your chlorinator one notch higher and start monitoring (at least daily..twice or three times daily is better) your FC level.

When your FC level gets to around 6ppm or so, you can back the tab chlorinator back down to it's current setting and maintain FC around 3-5ppm

CAUTION - Do not overuse the tabs, when your CYA gets to 40 ppm, please stop using them.

Are you using the Pool Calculator to calc your doses?

I am not exactly sure if you "shocked" it the first time. Shocking is a multi-day PROCESS not a 1-time addition. You need to read this:
pool-school/shocking_your_pool

Are those numbers from you new kit?

The sun is going to burn off you FC quickly with no CYA in the water ... although if you are going to use a tablet feeder, then you really need to keep an eye on you levels. Hard to say if the FC is being burned up or used by algae.

Definitely lower you pH before you shock (if you decided too). Once your FC level reaches 0 stuff can start growing quickly.

I would suggest adjusting the pH, adding some liquid chlorine, and doing an over night chlorine loss test (see link above) to see if there is anything living in your pool now.

Once you pass the test, you have to keep the FC in there ... and PLEASE watch your CYA levels. Once they start getting higher, you will have to switch to liquid chlorine OR partially drain your pool ... otherwise we will see you back with a "How do I get rid of the algae" post in the summer.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
thanks guys, I did add a gallon of muratic acid today and then went & bought liquid chlorine. I'll test in the morning and see if I need more acid or if its time to add chlorine. And, Yes these numbers are from my new test kit.
Where do I get the CYA from?
Think I'll go back & read the pool school pages again, I really need to put it all into practice to "get it". I'll also read up on the over-night chlorine loss test. Thanks again!!

CYA can be found at one of the big box stores. However if you have a large supply of tablets you can use the Pool Calc to determine how many you need to use to get the CYA to where you want it (don't forget to count the ones you've already used). A faster way of course is to just buy the CYA and add it directly and save the pucks for vacation, etc.

okay, tested last night (just couldn't stand it, lol) and had FC=1, CC=0, TC=0.5, pH= 7.5!!, T/A=300, CH=300, CYA=0 this was after the one gallon of muratic acid. I then added one gallon of liquid bleach and when I tested this morning I have-
FC= 6.5, CC=0.5, TC=7, pH= 7.2, T/A= 280, CH=300, CYA=0 :)
Looks like I'm ready to do the overnight loss test today and then find some CYA to add..... Right??????
Is there anything I'm missing? Am I getting this right? I think I'm understanding some but still very unsure of myself.
Thanks for all your suggestions & help :)

thanks Bama, the water has always LOOKED great. Clear and clean except the sand I'm having to vacuum off the bottom (we are still constructing the patio around it, this is a DIY so we are slow) we have swam in it every weekend and it FEELS good- it was just waiting for a problem with no FC before so I was a little worried.
I guess I'll just keep on reading & testing and if I run into any problems I'll ask :)

With 0 CYA, your FC may drop quickly during the day due to the sun. Hopefully you are able to check the FC throughout the day so it does not drop too much.

Then tonight do the OCLT and if the CC stay <= 0.5ppm and the FC drops < 1.0ppm ... You are done shocking :party:

Then get some CYA in there and adjust FC appropriately.

You can find CYA on the store shelf labeled as "Stabilizer". Use the http://www.poolcalculator.com/ to determine how much to add. Be very cautious adding CYA, as the only way to reduce it is draining and the CYA level won't show in a water test for up to 48 hours after its added.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.