Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: robots on a tanning ledge

1. Back To Top    #1

robots on a tanning ledge

Not sure if this has been covered yet, I looked back several pages & didn't find it, so here goes:
    We just got our 15x34 Fiberglass pool installed this weekend Now I am looking for a robot cleaner. There is no 'toe-kick' on this pool like on some fiberglass BUT We have a rather large tanning ledge that is 19" deep on the shallow end, it has one step up to it. I have read that they have a problem with steps,
    Do any of the automatic robot cleaners to a good job on a tanning ledge??
    Assisted install/DIY project 2012: 15,000 gallon ,15x34x6 Fiji by Viking fiberglass pools with Azure blue diamond finish, 1 1/2 hp dual speed pump, 30" Hayward Sand filter, inline tablet Chlorinator (at least until I decide on a SWG- this is ALL new to me)

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: robots on a tanning ledge

In my experience, robotic cleaners tend to do okay on tanning ledges. Most recently, we tested a Dolphin DX5 and a Polaris 9400.

Based on the two we tested, the DX5 did a better job on the tanning ledge.

3. Back To Top    #3

i dont' understand the issue, just hit the step or ledge with a brush, takes 2 seconds.
    8000 gal diamond brite pool with 650 gal spillover spa, Pentair 3hp VS pump. Jandy Cartridge filter and Jandy Heat Pump. Jandy PDA automation system with 2 Pentair Laminars. SmartPool NC74S Robotic Pool Cleaner.

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks for the responses. @robl45, I would just like to get one that does the most thourough job possible. I'm really not too lazy to brush the ledge off
    Assisted install/DIY project 2012: 15,000 gallon ,15x34x6 Fiji by Viking fiberglass pools with Azure blue diamond finish, 1 1/2 hp dual speed pump, 30" Hayward Sand filter, inline tablet Chlorinator (at least until I decide on a SWG- this is ALL new to me)

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by EllenNLarry
    Thanks for the responses. @robl45, I would just like to get one that does the most thourough job possible. I'm really not too lazy to brush the ledge off
    i doubt any will do it well, I have step stairs in my pool, at best the robots might get up to the first step, sometimes they might get to the second step on a fluke, out of 3 different robots, all pretty much the same style (they are all pretty much the same style besides the polaris) none of them are great at that. I just brush off the steps. in my jacuzzi where the seat is basically a ledge, they don't manage to do well on that either.
    8000 gal diamond brite pool with 650 gal spillover spa, Pentair 3hp VS pump. Jandy Cartridge filter and Jandy Heat Pump. Jandy PDA automation system with 2 Pentair Laminars. SmartPool NC74S Robotic Pool Cleaner.