Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Hose types and sizes?

1. Back To Top    #1
    North Central WV

Hose types and sizes?

So I'm getting a new Pentair Dynamo pump this year and am starting to wonder about the flexible hoses that were originally on the old pump and filter.

Starting at the skimmer there is a 3 foot, 1 1/4" flexible hose like this:

From the pump there's a semi-rigid hose which barely fits onto the output from the pump that looks like this:

The filter's output is another 1 1/4" silver flexible hose like the one from the skimmer.

Are these the proper hose types? It seems to me the silver flexible hoses would cause a lot of turbulence. Wouldn't this result in unnecessary head loss?

Also, what about the sizing? Should any of them be larger or smaller?
    16k gal, 28'x3.5', Vinyl A/G, 1hp Pentair Dynamo 2-speed Pump, Hayward S160T Sand Filter, Intermatic HB800RCL Digital Timer, Intex 8110 SWG, TF-100 Test Kit, SpeedStir Author: Jesse's Graphical Pool Testing Log

2. Back To Top    #2
    SouthWest Alabama

Re: Hose types and sizes?

You'd be better off changing the plumbing out to rigid PVC. All my plumbing is rigid except the smooth flex between the pump and filter. If it ever gives me problems I'm gonna change it out too.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit