Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Suction Cleaner - Proper Suction Settings

1. Back To Top    #1

Suction Cleaner - Proper Suction Settings

I am the new owner of a suction side cleaner(Hayward Navigator).

I had a tough time getting the cleaner to the appropriate suction pressure.

I have 3 returns - Main Drain, Skimmer, Vacuum Line.
    Using the included suction gauge I shut off the main drain and had to open the skimmer valve about half way.
    I used a lot of fine tuning of the skimmer valve to get to the correct suction.

I prefer to run the automatic vac only a few times a week(screened in pool).

My question is - should I leave the skimmer valve partially open at all times?
    Once I open back up the skimmer how can I easily get it back to the correct suction?

The valves are Jandy grey valves, doesn't seem like I could easily mark it.
    My other option is using the included regulator valve and closing the main drain and skimmer all the way.

Thoughts? tips?
    Thank you in advance

2. Back To Top    #2
    Silver Spring, MD

Re: Suction Cleaner - Proper Suction Settings

Welcome to TFP!

A Sharpie permanent marker will write on the valves, or you can use waterproof/outdoor rated adhesive labels.

Assuming the skimmer skims reasonably well at the part way setting both when the cleaner is running and when the main drain is open, then there is no harm in leaving the valve in that position. It is possible that it won't skim effectively with the main drain open, which would mean you need to change it's position each time you use the cleaner.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School