Bleach Prices 2012

gboulton said:
94SupraTT said:
family dollar has 6% bleach on sale for 2.50 for 182Oz. Plus there is a $5 off coupon in their website so that's $2 per jug. I just bought 10.

That's a pretty good deal! Below $0.19 an ounce.

You can sweeten the deal even more if you're current or former military. 10% off this weekend, and yes, they'll stack that with the sale and $5 coupon. Manager of my local store said any ID or discharge papers would be fine.

Wound up picking up 10 bottles for $18, which brings it down to $0.16/oz.

:whoot:
Wonder if my govt cac card would work.lol

Sent from Samsung Fascinate running ICS.

It seems to me that all this talk is a little obsessive compulsive....though I’m brand new and still shocking for the 1st time using BBB. I admit, I’ve already been to multiple stores trying to find the cheapest source - however now that I’m doing the math, I’m thinking my gas mileage is making the efforts wasted.

If I assume a 1ppm/day usage, I would need 41oz (in my 20,000 gal pool w/ a CYA of 50) of 6% bleach. I use $2/96 oz Clorox (which is on the expensive side at $0.34/oz of chlorine). Even at that "expensive" price, I would only need 43% per day to meet my 1ppm demand, equating to $0.85 per day or $77 for the summer (90 days).

Unless I’m missing something, I’m not going to worry too much about the price and just buy based on convenience. Is the 1ppm/day assumption to low? Even at 3ppm, I'd still only spend $231 over the summer. Either way its much cheaper than going with pool store products.

I think we're all a little OCD here... I could care less what a gallon of milk costs, which we use more of around our house than chlorine, but I'll drive a hundred miles to save 3 cents on a gallon of bleach!

...well, ok, maybe not a hundred miles, but you get my drift!

rgkpool said:
Is the 1ppm/day assumption to low?

Well...to be honest, yes. Your 1ppm assumption IS, almost certainly, too low. You're likely going to be in the 3ppm range, perhaps even 4-5 depending on amount of sun, bathers, etc.

Be that as it may, however, you are ABSOLUTELY right. Well...ok...mostly right...

It seems to me that all this talk is a little obsessive compulsive

It is most certainly not a little obsessive compulsive...it is VERY obsessive compulsive. :lol: I'm pretty sure every one of us suffers from some degree of CDO.

I'd wager, however, that it's part and parcel of being a BBBer. It goes hand in hand with the mind set.

We want to know what's happening in our pool, and manage it. We don't want to be told what to do to react to it.

By the same token, keeping a spreadsheet of bleach prices isn't about the bleach prices...it's about knowing what they are! :mrgreen:

I normally purchase a 3 pack of Clorox (6%) 1.48 gal bottles from BJs for $10.00 (approx.) but yesterday I opted instead for their 4 pack of liquid shock (12%) 1 gal bottles for $14.00.

Regards,
-Gary

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Hannah M said:
I discovered that Stop & Shop sells 128 oz regular 6% bleach for $1.49, that is the everyday price, which works out great since I don't have to stockpile and can always go back for more. I'm in NJ.

Can anyone confirm it is 6%? No disrespect Hannah but I just picked it up from Stop & Shop and by me it's a penny more but $1.50 per gallon is pretty nice if indeed it is 6%.

Slight off topic (?) but does anyone know where to find decent bleach in the UK? Tesco bleach is <5% and then everything else is perfumed and full of gunk...

Any tips appreciated, I've been a triclor addict for years but I've just had to drain my pool because it was so full of CYA... :(

Menards at Kokomo IN had their shock @ 4.00 per gallon and its 15%. The price calculator I found on here makes that the cheapest I have found in my area. If I figured it right the cost for me to raise the fc 1ppm for my 12k gal pool would be 22 cents.

bsimo57 said:
Menards at Kokomo IN had their shock @ 4.00 per gallon and its 15%. The price calculator I found on here makes that the cheapest I have found in my area. If I figured it right the cost for me to raise the fc 1ppm for my 12k gal pool would be 22 cents.
That 15% is probably labeled "available chlorine". Most likely it is 12.5% sodium hypochlorite, which would make it $0.25/ounce.

Just picked up 5 gallons of 12.5% at Namco just accross the boarder in NH for 16.33, had a 6$ deposit, but that is still well worth it. What I see though, is that no one is converting the 12.5% bleach down to the 6% price. Maybe I missed it in this thread, but I come up with the following.

16.33/640 oz = $.25 cents an oz, but it is 12.5%, so if you convert that to the 6% bleach price, you get roughly $.12 cents an oz?

I had to jump on that price, and it only cost me 2$ in gas to go get it 5 mi from my work. Gas price in 'getting stuff' really needs to be computed when looking to spend the 'least' on something. It's crazy that you are forced to go 15 miles for something, and it will cost me about $7 bucks to go there, and come back! Rant over, but it does matter when searching out these 'deals'. Now I just need to figure out how to use a 5 gallon jog of bleach without spilling?

IanB22 said:
16.33/640 oz = $.25 cents an oz, but it is 12.5%, so if you convert that to the 6% bleach price, you get roughly $.12 cents an oz?

You're calculating the cost per ounce of solution...usually what's calculated in this thread is the cost per ounce of chlorine.

The formula we use is :

Price / (Qty * Pct)

So, in your case:

.125 * 640 = 80 oz chlorine.
$16.33 / 80 = $0.20 per oz Cl

IanB22 said:
Maybe I missed it in this thread, but I come up with the following.

The method we are using is cost/ounce of sodium hypochlorite (not bleach or lc), so using that convention the carrier (bleach or lc) is normalized. In you case, if would be 16.33/(640*0.0125)= $0.204/ounce so not so bad.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.