Become a TFP Supporter Welcome to our new server and new forum software. Pool School
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Thread: Bleach Prices 2012

Re: Bleach Prices 2012

I've posted this in another link. I didn't create it, but I use it monthly:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc ... y=COrmotQE
    25000, IG, Vinyl with Hayward S-240 series Sand Filter, Emerson 1081 Pool Motor, Hayward H250 Heater.

WOW! What a great doc. I updated this for Ocean State Job Lot in Albany, NY
    29K gallon rectangle, vinyl, Hayward Sand filter, Dolphin Nautilus robotic vacuum

Most excellent.

I added the local WM and Aldi prices I've found.

Ya know...not long ago, I did a bit of toying with the Google Maps API, first chance I'd had to learn it...write something to locate astronomy viewing areas.

Wonder if i could do something up where you could enter your zip, and find bleach prices.sources within X miles...

Hrmm, might have to take a look at that.
    -Gordon
    Pool School helps me maintain my 13,500G 24' x 48" ASP with Sand Filtration using a TF100 Test Kit and Pool Calculator.
    Remember, the Shock Process should be followed until : 1. CC is less than 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT shows a loss of 1.0 ppm or less and, 3. The water is crystal clear.
    --I didn't buy my pool to swim in it. I bought my pool to watch my wife swim in it. :wink:

Here in Portugal you can easily get "Ecopool" 12% Sodium Hypochlorite for pools for 9 for 25 L (about 1.72$ per gallon). Works out cheaper than Lidl/Aldi stuff.
    Self built 5500 gallon bare concrete (temporarily) pool with limestone coping, Pentair Swimmey 1/2 HP pump, Triton sand filter with DE, Simpool peristaltic muriatic acid pump with pH sensor and Monarch SWG. Home made solar heater with Pentair Compool control panel and 3 way valve. 1 skimmer, 1 main drain, 2 returns, 2" plumbing, Hayward auto fill valve.

Quote Originally Posted by solarboy
    Here in Portugal you can easily get "Ecopool" 12% Sodium Hypochlorite for pools for 9 for 25 L (about 1.72$ per gallon). Works out cheaper than Lidl/Aldi stuff.
    That's one of the lowest on the board at $0.113/ounce
    TFP Moderator who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

Quote Originally Posted by linen
    Quote Originally Posted by solarboy
    That's one of the lowest on the board at $0.113/ounce
    Quite a suprise, we normally get ripped off on everything here !
    Self built 5500 gallon bare concrete (temporarily) pool with limestone coping, Pentair Swimmey 1/2 HP pump, Triton sand filter with DE, Simpool peristaltic muriatic acid pump with pH sensor and Monarch SWG. Home made solar heater with Pentair Compool control panel and 3 way valve. 1 skimmer, 1 main drain, 2 returns, 2" plumbing, Hayward auto fill valve.

Quote Originally Posted by gboulton
    Around here, at least, it appears to depend on the Wal Mart...maybe it's a function of how quickly they turn over stock? Not sure.

Some still have the 96 oz bottles at that price...others have these "33% more free" bottles, almost always on an end cap.

I stocked up this week, should have about a 3-4 month supply on hand now (barring some sort of problem)
    How long should we expect bottled bleach/liquid chlorine to last if stored in a cool dry place?
    25,000 gallon Concrete/Plaster Pool
    Pentair WFDS-26 - Installed Spring 2012
    Pentair Quad DE 100 - Installed Spring 2012
    Pentair Kreepy Krauly 820 - In Service 05/26/2013
    K-2006 Test kit, Intermatic P1353me Digital Timer

6% is good for about 6 months, but the clock starts ticking with the date of manufacture. You can figure 2-3 months before it's on the store shelves generally, so probably about 3 months, give or take.
    -Gordon
    Pool School helps me maintain my 13,500G 24' x 48" ASP with Sand Filtration using a TF100 Test Kit and Pool Calculator.
    Remember, the Shock Process should be followed until : 1. CC is less than 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT shows a loss of 1.0 ppm or less and, 3. The water is crystal clear.
    --I didn't buy my pool to swim in it. I bought my pool to watch my wife swim in it. :wink:

Quote Originally Posted by stslimited84
    How long should we expect bottled bleach/liquid chlorine to last if stored in a cool dry place?
    See: http://www.troublefreepool.com/shelf...7.html#p171988
    TFP Moderator who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

first post...Costco Box of 3 182oz. Clorox Bleach (6%), $8.55 for the box. Like .016 per ounce!!
    24ft AG Round / 15,200 Gal / Baquapure filtration system, Workhorse super flow pool pump, Proclean catridge filter 125GPM MAX FLOW RATE, Max 50psi / Alabama Heat/ Using

Welcome to tfp, sud6786

Quote Originally Posted by spud6786
    first post...Costco Box of 3 182oz. Clorox Bleach (6%), $8.55 for the box. Like .016 per ounce!!
    In this thread, we are comparing cost per ounce of sodium hypochlorite. For your example, the correct calculation is 8.55/(3X182X0.06)= $0.261/ounce which is okay, but if you look at this thread it may point you where you can get it cheaper.

Quote Originally Posted by spud6786
    Don't mean to burst bubbles, but your math is a bit off. You've calculated the cost per oz of bleach, not the cost per oz of Sodium Hypochlorite

===============

Woops...linen beat me to it. *heh*
    -Gordon

Called two local pool supply places:

1) 5 gal carboy of 12.5% for $18.99 = $0.237 per oz

2) 2.5 gal of 12.5% for $10 less 4 dollar deposit when you return the container = $6 for 2.5 gal which comes out to .15 per oz

3) Haven't checked the local aldi's yet

4) Walmart and Target have bumped their bleach prices to 2.99 this year

They're 128. That was the point.

Yes,I was going to say the samething..I was at the Wally World in Asheboro ,NC a couple week's ago clean'd the shelf.$1.64 for a 1/4 more of bleach..Pick up 12 of them.Haven't found anymore around here.Like I said last yr.You pay for what you buy.I tried the Aldi,Walgreen's & they just don't hold FC as long as the walmart,clorox brand's.Yes, the other was 6% ....Pool looking great this yr.If it would just warm up..Started 2 week's ago at 65 degree's now we have got up to 75..Maybe be warm enough to jump in by the weekend..
    Leasure bay AG 24ft,52 in high.installed June of 1999. Updated to Hayworth S-180 T sand filter 2003,,BBB method started in may2010,,TF-100

Quote Originally Posted by kplaster
    I tried the Aldi,Walgreen's & they just don't hold FC as long as the walmart,clorox brand's.
    I ran through 4 bottles of the Aldi brand here, didn't notice any difference in raising or holding FC.

I'd guess it's just luck of the draw...when the bottles made it to the store.

I didn't think to check them for a manuf. date...I'll look next time I'm there if I remember.
    -Gordon

Quote Originally Posted by kplaster
    I tried the Aldi,Walgreen's & they just don't hold FC as long as the walmart,clorox brand's.
    I ran through 4 bottles of the Aldi brand here, didn't notice any difference in raising or holding FC.

I'd guess it's just luck of the draw...when the bottles made it to the store.

I didn't think to check them for a manuf. date...I'll look next time I'm there if I remember.
    Yes,I stopped a Aldi's last yr & everone was out of date..I posted on this last yr..I just have better luck with the great value brand..I did test my wondering last yr..I can hold FC longer &less amount of the other bleach's.I can also allow my FC to drop lower without any problem's..I never have any algi outbrakes when I stay with great value..Just has soon has I started using the other was using more product to fight the algi...To each is on...The only difference with the aldi brand that I noticed from other's on the forum is they sale a different brand around here.
    Leasure bay AG 24ft,52 in high.installed June of 1999. Updated to Hayworth S-180 T sand filter 2003,,BBB method started in may2010,,TF-100

Good stuff, kplaster.

There's certainly something to be said for sticking with what works, and GV has worked well for me so far.
    -Gordon

Quote Originally Posted by stslimited84
    Called two local pool supply places:

1) 5 gal carboy of 12.5% for $18.99 = $0.237 per oz

2) 2.5 gal of 12.5% for $10 less 4 dollar deposit when you return the container = $6 for 2.5 gal which comes out to .15 per oz

3) Haven't checked the local aldi's yet

4) Walmart and Target have bumped their bleach prices to 2.99 this year
    was my math correct on the above calculations?

Yep, dead on.

If it was me, I'd stock up on a couple of those 2.5 gal jugs, and call it good. $0.15/oz, while not the rock bottom, seems to be a pretty good price!
    -Gordon

Yep, dead on.

If it was me, I'd stock up on a couple of those 2.5 gal jugs, and call it good. $0.15/oz, while not the rock bottom, seems to be a pretty good price!
    Thanks for the verification; however it seems the deal isnt good. I called back to verify and its $10 per 2.5 gal bottle PLUS the 4 dollar deposit which comes out to $0.276 per ounce....no deal there!

back to searching...