garypetro said:
I'm in Chicagoland.

Product Details:
Name: Clear Xtreme Pool Shock

The jug is 1 gallon and reads as below:
Available Chlorine: 15%
Sodium Hypochlorite: 12.5%

2 for $4 right now at Menards.

It's in the ad, and I just picked some up from the store down the street. I'm going to store mine in the basement in a closet, so dark and cool. If it can hold its concentration, I'll go back and pick up a lot more (sale runs through 5/13). However, if it breaks down fast, it won't be worth it to stock up that far in advance.

Can anyone shed some light on the rate of decay for this stuff?

ROTJob said:
I just found this and it sounds like a good decent price for 10% @ $3.05 per gallon. Is that too high? I saw a coupon code for free shipping over $75.

http://www.acehardwaresuperstore.com/44 ... 65095.html

You'll have to get 144 gallons to get that price. That's an awful lot of chlorine to store for 18400 gallons of water!

That 10% bleach will be 5% bleach in about a year if stored at 75f. It'll be at 5% in a little over 3 months if it's stored at 90f!

Maybe you have a bunch of friends you're splitting it with...

If you do store that much chlorine, you should call your local fire department and let them know where it is as a courtesy. You might want to put a NFPA sign near it too. (The fire diamond sign) Chlorine at a fire can cause irritating, corrosive and/or toxic gases. It would be 3 0 0 oxy (or 4 0 0 oxy depending on where you are) Locally, they sometimes classify chlorine differently. Aren't standards great?
:hammer:

I let mine know where I store my crazy amounts of sodium hydroxide, and potassium hydroxide. I also have big NFPA signs on site to give them a subtle reminder to be careful with those hoses. Though this stuff reacts with water a 'little' bit different then chlorine. :shock:

Sam's club here has cases of 3 - 182 oz jugs of 6% chlorox for $8.46. I usually buy ten cases at a time and get a lot of strange looks when I check out. Several people have started up conversations and some have pools. I've directed those to this site - maybe 10 people in the past three years.

I buy the cases at Sam's too. They used to have the ProForce brand that was cheaper but I'm guessing Clorox gave Sam's a higher percentage of the profit so they would stop selling the ProForce brand. Shortly after they stopped selling ProForce, Sam's raised the price of the Clorox by $1.00. Ahh, big business at work. The consumer always pays more. Haha!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just bought my first large monthly batch of bleach for the summer. Here in Lemoore (Central CA) at Walmart they raised the price of their large jugs of bleach from $2.48 to $2.98, and they had two gallons of HTH 10% for $6.47. This pushed the price of the HTH to just below that of the bleach. Just as well - less to lug around!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I just did a quick shopping comparison in the Charlotte area. (these are all 6%)

Sams club = 3 bottles for $8.56 (182 oz)
walmart = 2.98 (1 bottle, 182 oz)
Home Depot = 2.99 per bottle
Save-A-Lot = $1.19 per 96 oz bottle
Aldi had none :( I was sad.

So I shall do Save-a-lot for now. Buying 18 bottles, as my test kit arrives tonight !! (and pool is err green).

This time Aldi had it. same price as Save-a-lot. $1.19 / 96 oz bottle.

I popped into BigLots. They have Sno-ee, 2 1 gallon bottles for $3. But nowhere on the bottle or box did it say the concentration.
I was a bit concerned. Maybe someehere on this site or the internetz has the answer.....

ahha, on this very site in this thread....

http://www.troublefreepool.com/bleach-what-brand-t5530.html

Tis 3%. Not a deal after all.

This whole pool ownership has gotten me obsessed with bleach prices. NEVER saw that coming......

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.