0 cya=0 free chlorine.

8corneflakes

Platinum Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Jul 13, 2009
Fort Wayne, IN
I need some advice on CYA. do I REALLY need cya if I live in Indiana and have an auto cover? we have 0 CYA right now. I added the appropriate about of bleach yesterday (7- 96 oz bottles) to get the FC to a shock of 10 ppm. It held overnight. It was overcast until noon, then the sun came up and we swam the rest of the day and NO ONE peed in the pool. My 4 year old did confess to peeing on the dog:) Tonight at 7:30, I tested again and there is no free chlorine. Can the sun dissipate it that fast? I'm going to get some stabilizer tonight. can I get it at walmart? is there something special I should be looking for?

Thanks a million for making my pool so easy and my family so happy!

Yep, with zero CYA you lose all of your chlorine in less than one sunny day.

If you have an auto cover you can keep CYA a little lower than you would without a cover, perhaps 20-40 instead of 30-50, but I wouldn't go much lower than that.

i bought HTH stabilizer and conditioner.

active ingredient: cyan uric acid 96%. inert ingred 4%.

I plan to put in 9 lbs of this stuff to get the water to about 35 ppm.

Please stop me if this any of this sounds wacky.

Then, I will apologize to my kids for flying off the handle and getting totally crazy about thinking they had been peeing in the pool. But I will keep the lie about how the water will turn red and everyone will know they used the pool as a toilet:)

8corneflakes said:
.... But I will keep the lie about how the water will turn red and everyone will know they used the pool as a toilet:)

:mrgreen: I wish I had a nickle for each time I heard that growing up! And not from my parents, but frustrated neighbors or friends, but you do what you gotta do!

I would use an old sock to put the cya in, then hang it in front of a return. Squeeze it every now and then to help disolve it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.