Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: 0 cya=0 free chlorine.

1. Back To Top    #1

0 cya=0 free chlorine.

I need some advice on CYA. do I REALLY need cya if I live in Indiana and have an auto cover? we have 0 CYA right now. I added the appropriate about of bleach yesterday (7- 96 oz bottles) to get the FC to a shock of 10 ppm. It held overnight. It was overcast until noon, then the sun came up and we swam the rest of the day and NO ONE peed in the pool. My 4 year old did confess to peeing on the dog Tonight at 7:30, I tested again and there is no free chlorine. Can the sun dissipate it that fast? I'm going to get some stabilizer tonight. can I get it at walmart? is there something special I should be looking for?

Thanks a million for making my pool so easy and my family so happy!
    Theresa and/or Gary

Complete DIY: 20x40' rectangle. Resin walls, vinyl lined. 33000 gallons. Full width steps. 8' deep. Diving board, slide. Hayward pro series super pump, sand filter. Raypack 336K BTU heater. Main drain, 2 skimmers, 3 returns, 2 amerilite lights with quick change lens Aquamatic auto cover and a partridge in a pear tree.
    Breaking our backs in the hopes that one of our six kids will care for us when we are old ;)

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: 0 cya=0 free chlorine.

You can use --Dichlor - chemical name is dichloro-s-triazinetrione or a liquid stabilizer.
    Or the powder
    The liquid is not cheap.
    18' x 42" Intex (4786 Gal @ 80% capacity) Intex 8110 SWCG, 2000 GPH cartridge filter.
    Full Sun, Well Water, Borates at approx. 50
    TFTestKit-100--The Pool Calculator--Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Yep, with zero CYA you lose all of your chlorine in less than one sunny day.

If you have an auto cover you can keep CYA a little lower than you would without a cover, perhaps 20-40 instead of 30-50, but I wouldn't go much lower than that.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

i bought HTH stabilizer and conditioner.

active ingredient: cyan uric acid 96%. inert ingred 4%.

I plan to put in 9 lbs of this stuff to get the water to about 35 ppm.

Please stop me if this any of this sounds wacky.

Then, I will apologize to my kids for flying off the handle and getting totally crazy about thinking they had been peeing in the pool. But I will keep the lie about how the water will turn red and everyone will know they used the pool as a toilet
    Theresa and/or Gary

Complete DIY: 20x40' rectangle. Resin walls, vinyl lined. 33000 gallons. Full width steps. 8' deep. Diving board, slide. Hayward pro series super pump, sand filter. Raypack 336K BTU heater. Main drain, 2 skimmers, 3 returns, 2 amerilite lights with quick change lens Aquamatic auto cover and a partridge in a pear tree.
    Breaking our backs in the hopes that one of our six kids will care for us when we are old ;)

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by 8corneflakes
    .... But I will keep the lie about how the water will turn red and everyone will know they used the pool as a toilet
    I wish I had a nickle for each time I heard that growing up! And not from my parents, but frustrated neighbors or friends, but you do what you gotta do!

I would use an old sock to put the cya in, then hang it in front of a return. Squeeze it every now and then to help disolve it.
    My cement pond is a 36K gunite 20X40 built in mid 1960s, Hayward S244S filter, Aquarite SWCG, Jandy 1.5HP 2sp, TF-Test kit and Nitro Wall Climber

6. Back To Top    #6

thanks for all the help!
    Theresa and/or Gary