Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: will s.w. generator solve green pool issue?

1. Back To Top    #1

will s.w. generator solve green pool issue?

i am in southern mexico and for some reason there is a lot of iron in the water this year.every time i add chlorine the water turns green.never had the problem in the past and many people here are having the same problem.i can put a clarifier in and then vacumn out the sediment to waste but then have to add more water and back to sqaure one.will a salt system stop this?thanks
    American Leak Detection
    Tech I, II, CPO
    VP, Sr Tech
    Since 1994

2. Back To Top    #2
    Silver Spring, MD

Re: will s.w. generator solve green pool issue?

No not really. A SWG will allow you to run at slightly lower FC levels, which will reduce the frequency of green from iron, but not eliminate it. If you have access to metal sequestrant, I would recommend using that. Another approach is to keep the PH at the very low end of the acceptable range, but that can require a lot of work. Some people have had success shocking the pool to cause the iron to crystalize and using clarifier to get it to filter out, but that is not a reliable/predictable approach, it works sometimes and doesn't work others.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3
    South Carolina

Re: will s.w. generator solve green pool issue?

Use the google search (bottom left on page) and search for

sequesterant for iron
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!