Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Shocking Finished??

1. Back To Top    #1

Shocking Finished??

Opened pool and started shocking late Wednesday. I've checked chlorine level every 4 hours or so after the initial hourly checks at start up,keeping the level at shock or a few points above. Done the over night chlorine drop test this morning. Last night after sunset the numbers were 16.5 fc,,0.0 cc. This mornning I got water before sunrise and tested. The numbers were 16.0 fc and 0.0 cc. The pool isnt sparking yet but is clearing nicely.
    Should I maintain shock level until sparkling or begin to let it drop to normal level while the filter gets rid of the "dead bad boys" ?? I'm guessing that the shock process is fininshed at this point but just want to make sure. It's been a smooth process and dont want to mess up right at the end... A little chlorine,cya, and some elbow grease on the brush works better than a box full of expensive "opening kit" chemicals!
    21000 Gallons I/G,,Vinyl,, 1.5 H.P. Hayward Pump,, Hayward Sand Filter S244T.. Liquidator.

2. Back To Top    #2
    San Dimas, CA (LA County)

Re: Shocking Finished??

You're not done yet. Straight out of Pool School:

CC is 0.5 or lower;
    An overnight FC loss test shows a loss of 1.0 ppm or less;
    And the water is clear.
    There has been discussion in the past about putting water clarity as the first parameter. Ultimately, that's what you're after.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3
    SouthWest Alabama

Richard has a valid point but I have a little different take. You should run the OCLT one more night. If you pass that except the sparkling part then I'd let the FC come back down to normal levels for your CYA and hold it there till it clears.

It'd be nice if you'd post a full set of numbers.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

Many thanks guys....i'll keep it going and try to get another test tonite and if i have time in the morning. I'll get full numbers today,i've been concentrating on chlorine....I've been off the last few days and tomorrow is back to work for me---- but retirement is on the horizion. i've got my time in for full benefits and it's sure tempting! Thanks again.....
    21000 Gallons I/G,,Vinyl,, 1.5 H.P. Hayward Pump,, Hayward Sand Filter S244T.. Liquidator.