Water mold/pink slime

Jul 16, 2007
Indiana
I opened my auto cover in early February and found the water had already gone cloudy. Not cold enough of a winter. I'm a BBB 'B'eleiver.

When the temps were in the low 80's in early March and no cold temps on the horizon I decided it was time to open. The first thing I saw (other than the cloud hadn't gotten any better) was white tissue looking stuff floating around along with a thick pink slimey ring around the scum line. So I dipped a lot of it out with the skimmer net along with the usual worms, spiders and rolly-pollys.

The folks at the pool store told me it was 'water mold' and said I better get my filter cleaned out and do a good shocking and brushing.

I had already been keeping the chlorine level up 12-15 for a cya of 10ppm and had been brushing everyday. Today I cleaned the filter element with cascade followed by a bleach/water soaking. Also washed literally everything else with a pool cleanser and bleach water rinse. Found some more pink slime and white 'water mold' hiding behind the skimmer face trim plate.

Today I'd say my water is about 90% clear. Numbers look good (still keeping chlorine between 12-15).

Thats my story. :blah: Now my question.

Anything else I should be doing about the water mold and pink slime?

Thanks for the quick reply Lershac!

What's an overnight free chlorine loss test? I took a quick look around the forum and don't see the topic, though I'm sure it's here somewhere.

I'm a little tech challenged about the photo attachment, will have to wait until my son gets back!
Thanks again.

Hi George,

Thanks for that! It makes perfect sense. I've still got a slight haze in the water and expect the test will indicate chlorine consumption.

Think I'll wait another day or two and when it looks cleared up, then try it and know for sure!

Thanks again.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.