Daily FC loss

Mar 21, 2012
Suffolk, Va
I'm new to the site and just started using the methods i have learned from pool school. everything so far is turning out great, exactly as it should in accordance with posts i have read on the site. My only question is: What is normal daily FC loss? I have performed the overnight FC loss test and my FC does not drop at all at night, but during the day i loose 3ppm a day (i'm guessing due to sunlight). this results in me having to add approx. a gallon and a half of 6% bleach every other day. is this normal chlorine consumption?

FC - 7ppm
PH - 7.4
TA - 110
CYA - 35ppm
CH - 80ppm

vinyl
18000 gal.

Welcome to TFP!

3 ppm per day is on the high side, but isn't really surprising, give your CYA level, at least if your water is warm enough to swim in and your pool gets lots of sunlight. I recommend raising your CYA level to around 50. That should help reduce the amount of chlorine you need to use each day.

Normal chlorine usage each day is typically around 2 ppm or a little less. However, this varies with the water temperature, amount of sunlight, and CYA level.

once the water temp starts to get up i'm worried that my FC loss is going to start getting even worse.
Stop worrying. Two things consume your FC. UV from the sun (which you reduce by increasing your CYA to 50) and organics in the pool (which you kill by adding more chlorine)

Once you minimize your FC loss to UV, keeping adequate FC in the pool to get rid of organics is your only issue and your pool will then consume about the same as everyone's...depending on the variables.

3ppm daily loss is not outrageous but I would up the CYA right away and see what that brings.

Just to reinforce what the others have said. I lost between 3 and 4 ppm per day until I got my CYA between 50 and 60. Then it dropped to about 2 ppm per day here in sunny south Alabama. I can tell when my CYA gets below 50 because I start having to use more bleach.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.