Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Boric Acid Cautions?

1. Back To Top    #1

Boric Acid Cautions?

Today I added 40lbs of Boric Acid to my pool. While taking the remainder from one bucket to the other, I dumped it. A bit of it when airborne and now the back of my throat/sinuses feel odd. Anything to be overly concerned with?

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Boric Acid Cautions?

If it's enough make you concerned, then it might be best to seek a professional opinion such as from a doctor or a poison control center. The product should have an MSDS and an emergency contact number. Below is a quote from a MSDS (Material Safety Data Sheet).

Inhalation: If inhaled, remove to fresh air. If not breathing, give artificial respiration. If breathing is difficult, give oxygen. Get medical attention.
    CHEMTREC (24HR Emergency Telephone), call: 1-800-424-9300
    It really depends on how much exposure you had to the product. I don't think that a very minor amount would be anything to be concerned about, but I am not a poison control expert or doctor. Another MSDS says this:

Ingestion: Products containing Optibor are not intended for ingestion. Optibor has a low acute toxicity. Small amounts (e.g., a teaspoon) swallowed accidentally are not likely to cause effects; swallowing amounts larger than that may cause gastrointestinal symptoms.

Inhalation: If symptoms such as nose or throat irritation are observed, remove person to fresh air.

Eye contact: Use eye wash fountain or fresh water to cleanse the eye. If irritation persists for more than 30 minutes, seek medical attention.

Skin contact: No treatment necessary because non-irritating.

Ingestion: Swallowing small quantities (one teaspoon) will cause no harm to healthy adults. If larger amounts are swallowed, give two glasses of water to drink and seek medical attention.

24 Hr. Medical Info. Service . . . (661) 284-5200

3. Back To Top    #3

JamesW - thanks for the info. fresh air and water have lessened it. will know better next time to go SLOW.... Thanks!

4. Back To Top    #4
    Collierville, TN

Glad you're feeling better! If it doesn't improve from this point, get medical attention just in case. Take care.
    33,000 Gallon Vinyl Liner In-Ground Pool
    Intelliflo VS Pump; Triton II TR100 Sand Filter with Plumbed Waste Line
    IC40 SWG Cell; Easy Touch 4 Control Panel; Polaris PB4-60Q Halcyon Booster Pump
    Polaris 280 Automatic Cleaner; Dedicated return line; 1/2 Full Beer, Something on the Weber;
    AND, most importantly a TF100 Test Kit and a SpeedStir.

5. Back To Top    #5

While inhaling is quite a bit different, IIRC boric acid is one of the few pesticides labeled safe for use in food service/preparation areas.

Looking at the MSDS, the LD50 for a 150# person is 6.5oz. So if you can choke down a whole cup full (and not vomit) your odds are only 50/50.

Not a doctor, but your biggest medical risk is probably infection secondary to respiratory irritation.
    My Pool: 18'x36' Grecian. Vinyl Liner, 500# sand filter, SWG.

My hobbies: Brewing beer and flying rockets.

6. Back To Top    #6

Flower Mound, TX

You could always call you local Poison Control center. That is what your doctor would do if you came to see him/her for it.
    10K gallon IG gunite with waterfall; Pentair CC320P filter; WhisperFlo 2 HP pump
    TF Test Kits - Pool Math - Pool School
    "It depends."- JohnT

7. Back To Top    #7

I am still here, so must have not been much intake. Thanks again! (the Noob)