Dual Filters

I am no expert but would guess not much. I would think a large properly sized filter would be cheaper than 2 smaller ones. In series you would be adding more head resistance. In parallel you might reduce the head but still think 1 big would be better/cheaper /simpler than 2 smaller ones.

On our old inflatable ring pool I upgraded to a sand filter (best thing I ever did for it). I then would use the old filter to induce a whirlpool. This circulated the water better, and helped condense the dirt/bugs into the center for easier cleaning.

Are you having a particular problem that is leading you to consider a second filter?

There is hardly any advantage to using multiple filters, though there are a few very rare situations when it might have some very small advantages. The only two times that is normally done are: 1) when you need more water flow than even the largest filters allow for. Then you can setup two, or more, filters in parallel. 2) When you need extremely high reliability (like at a public water park) and so have several sets of equipment and can continue in operation even if one entire set of equipment breaks.

Using two of the same kind a filter in series is pretty much a complete waste of time. Using two in parallel allows additional water flow, but it will cost less and be more reliable to simply get a single larger filter (if one is available). There are some very minimal advantages to using a sand filter as a pre-filter for a DE filter (less DE filter cleaning), but not nearly enough advantage to justify the extra expense and extra maintenance.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.