Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: might have a problem, after opening too early

1. Back To Top    #1

might have a problem, after opening too early

boy oh boy opening early for me might give me some problems
    located in hamilton ontario i opened last saturday and looking at the weather coming up nxt week
    it looks like we might get below freezing at night i just had my solar panels
    installed couple days ago, should i close my pool??? or will running the pump all night prevent freezing?
    i have underground pipes as well, some advice would be greatly appreciated
    heres a link of my weather forecast http://www.theweathernetwork.com/weathe ... f=homecity
    13x20 onground pool

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: might have a problem, after opening too early

If it was just getting down into the 20's, I would say just run the pump. Single digits though? I'm not sure that you could get away with that; especially for several days in a row.

3. Back To Top    #3

If your equipment is outside, you can always cover/tarp it. You can always run an extension cord and hang one of those work lights underneath to generate heat. One thing I have done is use some of that heated electrical cord like they use for mobile homes to wrap the exposed pipes in too.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

I would certainly bypass and drain the solar but the rest of your stuff will be fine if you run that pump. I like the tarp idea and the light bulb if your temps get lower than 20's.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

Leave it run and you'll be fine, just make sure all the valves are open so you don't have any standing water in the plumbing. It's still above freezing in the day time and moving water shouldn't freeze.
    -Kevin
    X-Pert Pool Service
    x-pertpool.com
    X-Pert Pool on Facebook and @XPertPoolServic on Twitter
    22,000 gal / 16' x 32' / Vinyl / Hayward s244t /Pentair SuperFlo 1 hp

6. Back To Top    #6

thanks for the tips everyone
    spoke to the solar installer he recommended to just run the pump overnight and run it through the solar
    its going to dip below zero overnight on monday but will be rising back up during day time
    my equipment is in a shed
    13x20 onground pool

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by 257WbyMag
    If it was just getting down into the 20's, I would say just run the pump. Single digits though? I'm not sure that you could get away with that; especially for several days in a row.

It's celsius..just a touch below freezing...leads to some serious shrinkage when swimming...but we're Canadian..no big deal..

Seriously, I usually open the first week of April every year, and just let the pump do it's thing if it drops below freezing (comes on automatically at 35f). I've never worried about the solar panels, but when my pump shuts down and the solar has been on, the vacuum valve lets a fair amount of water drain back into the pool. Not all, mind you, because when I open the actual drain valve a lot more will come out.
    16x28 Roman, 55000 litres, salt water, Zodiac Duoclear 130 (mineral cartridge removed!!!), inground, vinyl liner
    Hayward Tri-star VS900 (1.85 HP) pump, Hayward C3030 cartridge filter
    Nine Techno Solis 4x10 solar panels, Jandy LX 250 natural gas heater
    Jandy Aqualink PDA with Sub Panel Power Centre

8. Back To Top    #8

tchoke, it looks like only Sunday night to Monday and Monday night to Tuesday are going to be below freezing (-2 and -3 celsius, or 28f and 26f). Long term shows above freezing after that. I discovered that my pump is freeze protected by default and I can program my deck jets, pool light, and AUX3 (which isn't currently hooked up to anything), but not my solar panels. Kind of stupid programming by Jandy (I have the Aqualink PDA) - why would I need to protect the lights, when they are in the water, which shouldn't freeze if the pump is running?

So anyway, I went ahead and drained my solar panels and the lines leading to and fro. However, I've never done this previous years and never had a problem even without the solar panels having flow to them.
    16x28 Roman, 55000 litres, salt water, Zodiac Duoclear 130 (mineral cartridge removed!!!), inground, vinyl liner

9. Back To Top    #9

rcy
    yea the weather is getting sucky all of a sudden, i was outside today enjoying my new wicker furniture
    sun was out and it was beautiful but as soon as sun went down things got chilly.
    as for me i will just leave the pump running 24 hrs for the next 3 days just to make sure no standing water in the solar panels freeze.
    friday i had the pool at 18 but since last night the weather dipped i ran the solar overnight and this morning it was 12c
    the 3 hours that i had the solar running with some decent sun i picked up 4c im excited for this summer with my new solars
    13x20 onground pool

10. Back To Top    #10

Brrrr...-1 right now. Pump came on automatically...all looks good.

I find that on a day of full sun, my system can put about 10 c into the water. I've got it as high as 92f in the summer.

I think running the solar like that (warm water, cold air) can actually remove heat from the water.

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by rcy
    I think running the solar like that (warm water, cold air) can actually remove heat from the water.
    I have used my panels that way, work's well...that is when you want to cool the water
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

12. Back To Top    #12

weather is not looking good, there calling for possible snow/rain
    been running my pump 24/7 to prevent freezing cant wait for my hydro bill
    13x20 onground pool

13. Back To Top    #13

You only need to run it when it's going to drop below zero - typically overnight right now. Why don 't you leave it off during the day and turn it on overnight?

14. Back To Top    #14

You only need to run it when it's going to drop below zero - typically overnight right now. Why don 't you leave it off during the day and turn it on overnight?
    i should im paranoid the windchill will wreck damage
    13x20 onground pool

15. Back To Top    #15

Windchill does not affect inanimate objects. Even with wind, the temperature of the object can not fall below the ambient temperature. Or so I've been told...

16. Back To Top    #16

Windchill does not affect inanimate objects. Even with wind, the temperature of the object can not fall below the ambient temperature. Or so I've been told...
    never heard of this, anyhow looking at your sig
    i see you have a tristar pump, i actually just replaced my old pump and got a .5hp tristar
    im hoping it saves me money on hydro
    13x20 onground pool

17. Back To Top    #17

The windchill comes from {NOT:evaporation} convection through the skin ... so the body tries to keep the skin temp constant and thus we feel colder than the air temp and in fact are loosing heat more rapidly.

The wind will just cool an object FASTER down to the air temp but not colder.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

18. Back To Top    #18

I don't have anything to compare my Tristar to regarding electrical use, since this is our first pool. It was built in 2007 and I've never had a problem with it. I know the solar installer was very impressed with the volume of water that it was moving (apparently with solar, faster flow is better than slower flow - I asked if it wouldn't make more sense to have slow flow so the water could pick up more heat, and he gave me a very technical explanation that was completely over my head, but the end result was faster was better).