Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: DIY Pool Cover "Pump" Filter

1. Back To Top    #1

DIY Pool Cover "Pump" Filter

I'm not sure if this is the place for this, but I don't have one of those pool cover pump covers, so I thought I'd see if anyone had any good ideas. I have a sump pump that's a bottom intake (I use this for my hot tub, and it moves a lot of water.

I don't want to suck up the pool cover or all of the leaves, but it's a dirty water setup, so I don't have to be too anal about it.

I thought about just putting some holes in a bucket, dropping the pump into it, then into the water.

Anyone have any ideas?
    Richard
    Temecula, CA
    28,000 Gal. In-Ground plaster and tile, Total Control AutoPilot with SC-60 SWG and PH control, Pentair EasyTouch 8, EasyTouch Wireless Remote, Intelliflo VS+SVRS pump, Intellibrite lighting, Pentair Quad 100, Solar heating, Pentair Mastertemp 400 Gas Heater, The Pool Cleaner 4x, Aquabot Turbo T2 Robotic Cleaner, Water feature spillover from SPA.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: DIY Pool Cover "Pump" Filter

I would say pump will pump out faster than water can flow into the bucket if leaves are a problem. Most sump pumps pump a lot of GPM's compared to a pool cover pump. What the heck give it a try if you have a bucket and a pump. Just keep an eye on it so the pump doesn't run dry. Also, my cover pump has a timing function to check for water every so often and if none is present automatically shuts off after a short run.
    16 x 32 15300 gal. IG Vinyl Jandy pump, Jandy sand filter, Paramount circulation system, Automatic pool cover.

3. Back To Top    #3

Interestingly enough, as I was walking out of my office (home) I noticed I had this little basket in here. It's just a small basket with tons of holes in it, but i thought it might be worth a try, and so far...it's working very well. I don't have a TON of leaves on the cover, but I suspect it will do just fine, it's sucking out water now. The cover is pretty full, we've been gone for 2 months.

Richard
    Temecula, CA
    28,000 Gal. In-Ground plaster and tile, Total Control AutoPilot with SC-60 SWG and PH control, Pentair EasyTouch 8, EasyTouch Wireless Remote, Intelliflo VS+SVRS pump, Intellibrite lighting, Pentair Quad 100, Solar heating, Pentair Mastertemp 400 Gas Heater, The Pool Cleaner 4x, Aquabot Turbo T2 Robotic Cleaner, Water feature spillover from SPA.

4. Back To Top    #4

Looks good.
    16 x 32 15300 gal. IG Vinyl Jandy pump, Jandy sand filter, Paramount circulation system, Automatic pool cover.