Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pool neglected for two years, what now?

1. Back To Top    #1

Pool neglected for two years, what now?

Long story short, the tenets living in my house neglected the pool. It's since been uncovered for two years, and has a bunch of **** in it. Last summer there was frogs living in it too. I'm sure there's probably a few neighborhood cats in there as well. It looks like a lagoon. I really want to clean this but I CANNOT spend that much money on it. I DO know that I definitely need to purchase chlorine though. I'm brand new at this, never worked on a pool before. It looks like everything else for the pool (chemicals, vaccuum, etc are all here. There's a big filter on the side of the house. I don't want to turn it on untill I know what I'm doing. I can take pictures if needed. By the way, this is an in-ground pool. APPOX 40 feet long by 15 wide.
    Pool cleaning service for Coral springs and all of broward. wet world aquatics Using science to give your pool and aquarium the best year ever.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pool neglected for two years, what now?

Pictures are always helpful if you can take them. Just make sure to read up in pool school (upper right hand corner click on pool school) and to do it right you will need a high quality test kit. Look in my signature for the link to the TF100 kit.

Good luck and you have come to the right place.
    13,000 Plaster IG Pool approx
    Hayward C5030 Cart Filter
    Emerson 1081 EB653 1.0 HP 1.40 S.F. 3450 RPM
    Pool Calculator, Pool School, TF Test Kits

3. Back To Top    #3

Mynewpool covered the starting point.

But let me reiterate: you will need a test kit. It will pay for itself many times over. Just bite the bullet, order a TF100 and get the XL option since you'll be cleaning a swamp.

Some Inspiration. Swamp to Swim in 12 days
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

4. Back To Top    #4

Welcome to the forum dbaker2o!

The best free education in the world: http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-school/
    18' x 42" Intex (4786 Gal @ 80% capacity) Intex 8110 SWCG, 2000 GPH cartridge filter.
    Full Sun, Well Water, Borates at approx. 50
    TFTestKit-100--The Pool Calculator--Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

Here is some more inspiration and this was my own experience. I had never owned a pool either and did it all with the help of this site and none of the pool store help.

my-journey-from-green-to-crystal-clear-t20117.html?hilit=green
    13,000 Plaster IG Pool approx
    Hayward C5030 Cart Filter
    Emerson 1081 EB653 1.0 HP 1.40 S.F. 3450 RPM
    Pool Calculator, Pool School, TF Test Kits

6. Back To Top    #6

viewtopic.php?t=39651

More inspiration! This was my own doing... Algae so bad, I could of made a salad out of it!

Currently I'm fighting some green water. We went on a cruise when the temp was in the 30's, and when we got back the temp had been in the 70's and 80's for 7 days straight! Been at it for 5 days now. Went out this morning and the water is finally clear! Now I just have to get it "sparkly" and I'll be into coast mode working on the pool about 5 minutes a day to maintain it.

Listen to what the people here have to say, and you'll never go wrong. There's amazing people here! Found this place... Hmm... I think four years ago and have never looked back. My pool always looks amazing now!

Make sure you invest in a good test kit though. Money well spent and worth every penny. You can't fix something if you don't know what's wrong to begin with!

Rob B
    My $100 pool finally died after 6 years.
    Totally got our monies worth!
    Butterfly made me do it...