My current pool test and question

Mar 23, 2012
New to AG pool stuff. New pool Aug 2011, just opened 3/18/12. Daytime temps are 70 to 80 and 50 to 60 at night. Pool temp ave 70.
My TA is drifting down. I use perma salt system. Had great results the couple months it was open last year. Here are test results from today...pH 7.6. TA 89 Cal 271 Copper 0.3
That is all I test for and I use non chlorine shock, sodium monopersulfate. Added half bag of pool salt as my TDS was 740, now 940 after an hour or 2 adding that.
Do I need to increase the TA and will my pH go higher if I do. Thanks!!!!!!! Endrea

TA at 89 is just fine, perhaps even a little high. So I would not do anything about TA right now.

TA does tend to drift down over time in many, though not all, pools, though normally that happens fairly slowly.

Raising TA will also raise PH, though not by all that much.

By the by, the Perma Salt system uses copper, which we very much don't recommend using. Using copper without any chlorine (or bromine or baqa) at all is not especially safe, and is illegal in public pools for that reason.

I know. I have read various things on the mineral ionization. Sorry but it is my husband and i and shocking the pool weekly really kept it okay. One more question, is the pH at 7.6 ok? We are getting a fair amount of rain too. Other than that we need to do some vacuuming but the water has been too cold and at best I have brushed the floor but the water is crystal clear!! Thanks!!

endreaw said:
Sorry but it is my husband and i and shocking the pool weekly really kept it okay.
It is your choice to chose to do it that way but I would guess you will eventually have problems, most likely in the heat of the summer.
endreaw said:
One more question, is the pH at 7.6 ok?
7.5-7.8 is the recommended range for normal situations.

I would encourage you to read up in poolschool (link is at upper right of page). Maybe try this article first: http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-school/pool_water_chemistry

For the most part it was 90 all Aug into September and my chemistry was in line and we closed it near mid September. I used a closing kit and we opened it recently and it was clear but I used an opening kit. Chemistry was as you see short of adding salt to bring TDS up. Time will tell. The guys who install the pools are from a construction contractor who does pools on the side. They had AG pools using the same system and they had kids too and said they had no issues with the silver and copper ions. A website I just found, NASA based, sells mineral ionization systems that use copper and silver ion bars to both home and commercial pools. I guess their system is "stronger" yet they have a better warranty and cheaper bar replacements around 30 bucks. They say it is comparable to the ionizing system they sell for drinking water. Live and learn I guess. Thanks!!!!!

Drinking water sanitation and swimming pool sanitation are very very different situations. The EPA only lists three chemicals as suitable for swimming pool sanitation, chlorine, bromine, and baqua. Nothing else remotely practical kills bacteria and viruses in swimming pools nearly as effectively.

When using copper, which again I don't recommend, it is best to keep the PH at 7.4 or lower. Otherwise you risk copper stains. Copper stains are both unsightly and essentially impossible to remove from vinyl.

Take a look at this poolschool article: http://www.troublefreepool.com/alternative-sanitizers-and-chemical-free-pools-the-truth-t3025.html it describes most of these "alternatives" which really are not alternatives since the only EPA approved sanitizers are Chlorine, Bromine and Biquanide. By the way, a properly maintained chlorine pool does not smell, does not sting eyes, and is not hard on skin or hair. Last year I had a person ask me what I was using instead of chlorine in my pool. When I said it was sanitized by chlorine, they asked me how it was so clear but did not smell. That made my day :-D

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.