Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Mixing Purple and Magenta Stuff

1. Back To Top    #1

Mixing Purple and Magenta Stuff

Let me start out by stating that I am aware that mixing two different sequestrants is not normally a good idea. The answer to the question I am asking will likely result in a no answer but I will ask the question just in case it is yes.

I just did an Iron treatment with Ascorbic Acid and the pool looks great. Unfortunately I know that despite adding Jack's Magic Purple Stuff on a weekly maintenance schedule it will slowly but surely start to stain again. My purpose in asking the following question is to see if I can extend the time frame and have a pool that remains relatively more stain free for longer.

The stains are not from pool water but from volcanic soil dust blown over our mountain from agricultural lands behind that mountain, which contain iron, blowing in with the trade winds whose speeds average 16 mph to 24 mph.

The question:

As these two products are in many ways chemically completely different could they be mixed and thereby extend the stain free time?

I realize that there would be additional cost but it would be worth the piece of mind to see the pool with less staining.

Going forward at the present time I am using the Purple stuff based on Chem Geek's recommendation.

As mentioned I am guessing the answer is no but I am curious to know the chemical reason as to why.

Thank you.
    10,000 gal plaster pool,3/4 hp WhisperFlo pump, Sta-Rite Great White GW9500 pool cleaner, Hayward 300 lb Sand Filter
    Use Magenta Stuff for Iron and Silica control.
    Balance: pH 7.7 Cl 7 -8 Alk 70-80 CH 325 CyA 30 in winter - 50 in summer NaCl 1010 TDS 1200

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Mixing Purple and Magenta Stuff

Maybe if you strung up an aerial array of magnets upwind you could catch the dust before it hit the pool?

I don't have any idea on the chemical stuff, but I bet if you wrote the manufacturer they could answer authoritatively?
    (DIY):16K Gal 20X30 rectangular IG Gunite, w/spa, CCP 520 filter,2 Pentair VS pumps, 400KBTU Pentair gas heater, Heat Pump for cooling, **update5.25.2013** added an intellichem with acid pump that will control existing SWG. My Build Thread Here

3. Back To Top    #3

Spoke with Jack's Magic Tech Support, they were very pleasant and helpful.

Yes you can mix the Purple (best for Iron Control according to them) and the Magenta (best for Calcium Scale Control according to them). Normally most persons only use one but if you have both problems then mixing is fine. If you use Algaecide 60 Chem Geek stated "NEVER" to use the Magenta stuff as well as you will get a cloudy mess.

The link is here

http://www.troublefreepool.com/yello...t31105-20.html

It is best to use the test kit to determine the dosage of Purple, normally 10 -12 ppm. You cannot test for Magenta. In my freshly filled 10k gallon pool phosphates measured, after adding 32 oz of Purple, around 1750 to 2000. Normally it would be close to 0 -200 ppm, so for those of you that are concerned with organic phosphates this might be a good way to acheive a baseline. As the Purple stuff contains inorganic phosphates and not organic phosphates it should not be an issue. Phosphate tests cannot tell the difference between the two.

Note: It appears most persons seem to have no issues with organic phosphates in a properly maintained pool where the the chlorine is maintained according to the appropriate "Chlorine/CYA Chart" levels. But for those of you that might consider this an issue, the above mention is for you.

They further stated that they recommended using the Magenta stuff for freshly plastered pools for a month to six weeks and then switching to the Purple stuff if iron or copper is an issue in your pool.

Hope this helps.
    10,000 gal plaster pool,3/4 hp WhisperFlo pump, Sta-Rite Great White GW9500 pool cleaner, Hayward 300 lb Sand Filter
    Use Magenta Stuff for Iron and Silica control.
    Balance: pH 7.7 Cl 7 -8 Alk 70-80 CH 325 CyA 30 in winter - 50 in summer NaCl 1010 TDS 1200

4. Back To Top    #4

Neither organic, nor inorganic, phosphates are worth worrying about. As long as you maintain appropriate FC levels, the phosphate level (of any kind) will not make any difference.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

Yeah, concern over phosphates in a properly maintained pool is a lot like wanting to remove all of the furniture from the living room because there's a fireplace that never gets used in the same room.
    [center:1kpalu48]Helpful Links: Pool School | CYA/Chlorine Chart | Pool Calculator[/center:1kpalu48]