Bonding question

Jun 3, 2011
Hi all, I have a question about bonding.
When our pool was installed the contractor never bonded to ground, now I bonded the pump to a ground rod but I have seen a few posts mention bonding of the steel wall?
I am wondering how you can bond to the steel wall, I will check again when I get home but I don't remember seeing a grounding bolt on the pool like on the pump?
Thanks in advance!

Most people use a bolt in the seam to attach the bonding lug to. Some pools are designed so that one bonding point bonds the entire pool. If the uprights are metal you can always drill and bolt the lug to them. By code it should be connected in four(4) places around the pool and continued to all the other metal in and close to the pool.

Also keep in mind that bonding isn't grounding. In the US the bonding doesn't have to be grounded, but can be.

Hmmm... Got me thinking now :) My pool is resin except for the pool wall "i think" will check but it sounds like I can attach like a bonding ring to the pool accessory panel but you mentioned to bond like 4 places.
I am wondering how I would do that? The stainless steel accessory panel is the only panel with any type of screw holes in it? So I guess I am wondering how did everyone attach the bond wire to the other parts of the pool wall that doesn't have any holes?
Thanks again!

Look at your pool manual and see if it states that a single bonding point bonds the entire pool. It is one continuous piece of steel after all. Once the pool is up and full it's almost impossible to add the bonding if it has resin uprights. I'd use a bolt on each side of the accessory panel and call it good.

The code is not clear on this for single ring metal agps... I just bonded my pool (it has resin uprights and top ledge) at the seam using one of the many screws. I am not claiming that meets the requirements everywhere, but I did not want to drill extra holes in my shell.

"Bonding to ground" is not always allowed. Please realize that bonding is NOT the same as grounding, and do not necessarily serve the same purpose. Bonding a pool is designed to force all wettable components to always maintain the same voltage potential, such that no difference of potential can exist among them, hence the name "equipotential bonding". It does not require, nor always allow, interconnection to the electrical ground.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.