Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Bonding question

1. Back To Top    #1

Bonding question

Hi all, I have a question about bonding.
    When our pool was installed the contractor never bonded to ground, now I bonded the pump to a ground rod but I have seen a few posts mention bonding of the steel wall?
    I am wondering how you can bond to the steel wall, I will check again when I get home but I don't remember seeing a grounding bolt on the pool like on the pump?
    Thanks in advance!
    18' x 33' Aqua leader AGP (~19k gal) w/hayward swimpro voyager cartridge filter and 2hp hayward pump.
    8 Gal LQ, hayward heater.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Bonding question

Most people use a bolt in the seam to attach the bonding lug to. Some pools are designed so that one bonding point bonds the entire pool. If the uprights are metal you can always drill and bolt the lug to them. By code it should be connected in four(4) places around the pool and continued to all the other metal in and close to the pool.

Also keep in mind that bonding isn't grounding. In the US the bonding doesn't have to be grounded, but can be.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Bonding question

Hmmm... Got me thinking now My pool is resin except for the pool wall "i think" will check but it sounds like I can attach like a bonding ring to the pool accessory panel but you mentioned to bond like 4 places.
    I am wondering how I would do that? The stainless steel accessory panel is the only panel with any type of screw holes in it? So I guess I am wondering how did everyone attach the bond wire to the other parts of the pool wall that doesn't have any holes?
    Thanks again!
    18' x 33' Aqua leader AGP (~19k gal) w/hayward swimpro voyager cartridge filter and 2hp hayward pump.
    8 Gal LQ, hayward heater.

4. Back To Top    #4

Look at your pool manual and see if it states that a single bonding point bonds the entire pool. It is one continuous piece of steel after all. Once the pool is up and full it's almost impossible to add the bonding if it has resin uprights. I'd use a bolt on each side of the accessory panel and call it good.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

5. Back To Top    #5

The code is not clear on this for single ring metal agps... I just bonded my pool (it has resin uprights and top ledge) at the seam using one of the many screws. I am not claiming that meets the requirements everywhere, but I did not want to drill extra holes in my shell.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

6. Back To Top    #6

Dittos on the top ring approach.
    20' X 54" Sharkline Matrix Resin AGP, 9400 Gallons, Sta-Rite 1 HP Dynamo Pump, 150 lb Pentair Sand Filter, Gorilla Pad,
    Foam Cove, Taylor K-2006 kit, BBB method, 8'X20' Fafco Sunsaver Hard Plumb, DIY Fountain, Margarittaville Fiji

My Build: one-man-one-pool-and-one-deck-agp-pics-t37172.html
    My Build 'To-Do' List for other DIY'ers: my-pool-build-list-t40249.html?hilit=list

7. Back To Top    #7

"Bonding to ground" is not always allowed. Please realize that bonding is NOT the same as grounding, and do not necessarily serve the same purpose. Bonding a pool is designed to force all wettable components to always maintain the same voltage potential, such that no difference of potential can exist among them, hence the name "equipotential bonding". It does not require, nor always allow, interconnection to the electrical ground.
    [center:1kpalu48]Helpful Links: Pool School | CYA/Chlorine Chart | Pool Calculator[/center:1kpalu48]