NW Arkansas
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-15)
I have been checking my pool temp for a few week just to see where it was. Today the error CE appeared. Last year 2010, exactly to the day, I had the board replaced for the same problem, service determined it was a bad board. That board was the original for the heater which was installed Oct. 2008 by original owner. Rarely used in 2009-10. Now I have the same problem. The part number is 4527 J, the original was 4527 Rev. I. I still have the old board. Neither board appears to have any blackened spots to indicate failure. Is it normal to replace this part that often? I remember pool service checking the connections and also checking the voltage, saying it was where it was supposed to be. My receipt for the part and labor was almost $500. If the boards are just unreliable can I purchase the board and install myself and save I hope a bunch of money? Before I go round 2 any advice for a non mechanical, electrically electronically, challenged pool mom.
Thanks,
Chris

I there anyway to check the board to see if it is bad? Since I have been searching this forum I found where drying the connections with a hairdryer might work. We have had about 4-5 in. of rain in the last week(Houston). Any other suggestions? Any recommendations with where to buy a new board, local, on-line?

Thanks for any and all advice.
Chris

Ok, getting worried here. Does anyone know about the control board for the Hayward Series H 250 pool, heater, natural gas. I want to get this fixed and not sure I trust the pool guy, "It's easier to replace than fix" was his last fix, which was a new pump as the impeller was bound up or something. Please help.

Chris

I have the same heater and the same problem. Heater was bought the summer of 2010 and only used a total of 5-6 hours. Last summer I started getting the CE error. It was random until one day the entire display went out. Of course this was right after the warranty expired. On my board I can see a burnt area center bottom.
original.jpg

I found the board on Amazon for $150, but I'm reluctant to order it for fear that this isn't the problem and I'd be out $150 and the short amount of time it was in use, I fear that it will go out again.
Link to Amazon:http://www.amazon.com/Hayward-Display-Board-Only-IDXL2DB1930/dp/B004GSQ308/ref=pd_sim_sbs_lg_2

Linda,
This is twice in 1 calendar year for me. On my board and on the bad one from last year, yes I saved it, both have the same R15 at bottom center that looks blown. What I am trying to find out, Is why does it keep blowing? Something in my heater must be causing this problem or possibly it is a design flaw, and it will become a yearly expense as the repairman only wants to replace it and is not working very hard at the why. Have you figured out why yours blew. I made the repairman check the voltage, I really don't know motors. Perhaps someone else on these boards that has knowledge will chime in. Anyway, thanks for replying.
Chris

Chris, I ordered the new board last night. Without knowing what caused the board to blow, I'll be afraid to install and use the new board. I wish I could find the burnt part and replace it so I have a spare board. I have to say I was very disappointed in the heater. We Installed it in May of 2010 and only used it about 6 hours max. In the fall the heater and pump were put in the garage. When we opened the pool in the spring of 2011 we used the heater just to keep track of the water temp. In June right after the warranty period ended we started getting the CE error and then shortly after the entire display was gone. I would have hoped the heater would have worked for a longer period of time.

Hey Linda,
Do you order it online? Are you putting in in yourself? It's 2 unplugs to remove so shouldn't be a reason for repairman as he is just going to get me a new board again. I wish he could diagnosis why it keeps failing. Maybe someone on this forum will rescue and enlighten us.
Good luck,
Chris

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I received new board and installed. Guess what, still reads CE but does allow me to toggle between pool, spa, and standby. I am posting here and at GardenWeb trying to figure out what is causing the CE. Is there someway to test the board, or troubleshooting steps to take, if not this then this. Help please, my service guy was going to charge 2 hrs labor plus cost of board, so I ordered one off Amazon. I would pay him but he doesn't want to figure it out, just replace the part and charge for labor. He said that the boards just go bad for no reason. Something has to be interfering with the communication, if not a bad board, then what?

CE on the Hayward's is a problem I see and fix all the time. You actually have to replace BOTH boards in the system because if not you will just fry another board.

Here are the parts you will need to replace:

IDXL2DB1930 Display Board and FDXLICB1930 INTGR.CTRL.BRD.KIT FD. The second board comes with a new airflow switch and you MUST use the new one with the new board.

Get both of these boards and replace them. I am still waiting on Hayward for an answer as to why this is happening. I suspect water/moisture getting into the display board and then shorting out both boards. But I have also see, in FL, lizards getting into the unit and they short out a board.

I have two other friends that work on these heaters in different areas of FL and they have seen the same exact thing and have tried to replace only one board only to have it fried on them.

ps303,
Oh thank you so much. I will take out the new one and order the other board. Amazon is fast for sure and then put them in together. I really hope this works. A big thanks to you.
Chris

Taylor1584,

Let me know your outcome when you do this. Also, make sure the power is OFF to the heater.

Check out the board when you remove it and you should see the burnt part. I usually see R45 is the burned out resistor.

Paul

Taylor1584 said:
Oh Linda, Did your board fix the problem? Hope so.
Chris
I have the new part, but we haven't opened the pool yet. Heater is still in the garage. Gawd, After reading ps0303's post, I don't know what to do. I hate to have to buy the other board too. When I was did a google search for this, it seems there are many that have this problem. I wonder if this is a design flaw, or bad boards, etc. Wish there was a way to find out just how many of these heaters have this problem and if we could get Hayward to acknowledge there is a problem and fix it.

Has anyone tried to repair these boards? I did a little looking on the internet and I think the burnt resistor is a surface mount resistor. The 331 printed on it equals 330 Ohms. I wonder if these resistors can be bought? My son is in the Air Force and has repaired and made many circuit boards so I will be asking him about this. The picture is of the new board I just purchased. On my old board the R15 is burnt. I'll have to pull the other board from the heater and check it to see if the R45 is burnt.
original.jpg

Linda,

My husband thinks so, says the little circuits are inexpensive. R-15 was burnt on ours from March 2011, this year it was R-2, Paul said a different number. However finding someone todo this is our problem. We just moved to Sugarland, Texas last year, if we were still in Illinois I would know where to go. I wonder if Radio Shack would know? Anyone have any suggestions?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.