Newbie (Upgrade or replace filter)

Mar 17, 2012
SACRAMENTO CA
Just wanted to say this forum is awesome !!!

Here we go :-D ..I have a 20k gallon IG pool/ gunite/ plaster (concrete) kidney shape with water fall/hayward 3/4hp and a hayward star clear filter and 175 sf cartridge 2" fip ...as I started the usual clean up process I unscrewed the top locking knob and just my luck it stripped and will not screw off all the way to allow me to remove the top lid and clean the cartridge ..just wanted to see what my options are before I make any purchases... I would truly apreciate some great advice (HELP ME) and see if my current setup is adequate for this pool size? Do I need to upgrade or should I just replace the current filter unit with the same kind or is there any way to fix this stripped knob...in addition to this mess my 1 1/2 year old kleen machine robot finally stopped working aswell. The curse continues :( oh and I forgot to mention a green pool :(

Here's a parts breakdown for the filter. It shows part #1 as the nut and part #10 as the tie-rod. It shows the tie-rod being threaded on both ends so you (or a friend) could try prying up on the lid while you try to unscrew the "locking knob". Worse case you could destroy the knob and unscrew the tie-rod with pliers, etc. and just replace the knob and tie-rod.

Thank you linen and bama rambler for the quick response .Bama I'm gonna give it a try this weekend but the only down side is the replacement parts are pricey and it will cost half as much as a new filter unit . I guess my next question is if this hayward filter unit is non repairable should I just replace it with the same filter unit or do I need to upgrade to a bigger unit and make some changes all at once .... im not to familiar with pool equipment setup . I know I have a hayward pump but the model # isn't visible anymore and the motor is an Emerson high efficiency 3/4 hp /1.5 s.f/ 2" piping pumping a 20k pool . I'll try to post some pics ..once again thank you TFP

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.