Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Newbie (Upgrade or replace filter)

1. Back To Top    #1

Newbie (Upgrade or replace filter)

Just wanted to say this forum is awesome !!!

Here we go ..I have a 20k gallon IG pool/ gunite/ plaster (concrete) kidney shape with water fall/hayward 3/4hp and a hayward star clear filter and 175 sf cartridge 2" fip ...as I started the usual clean up process I unscrewed the top locking knob and just my luck it stripped and will not screw off all the way to allow me to remove the top lid and clean the cartridge ..just wanted to see what my options are before I make any purchases... I would truly apreciate some great advice (HELP ME) and see if my current setup is adequate for this pool size? Do I need to upgrade or should I just replace the current filter unit with the same kind or is there any way to fix this stripped knob...in addition to this mess my 1 1/2 year old kleen machine robot finally stopped working aswell. The curse continues oh and I forgot to mention a green pool
    20k / Hayward star-clear filter 175 sf cartridge 2" fip / IG / Platser / waterfall / Hayward pump / emerson 3/4 hp 1.5 sf

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Newbie (Upgrade or replace filter)

Welcome to tfp, Pro_ceo24

I am not familiar with your filter but it might help if you take a picture of the problem. I would guess others on here will know what you need to do.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

3. Back To Top    #3

Here's a parts breakdown for the filter. It shows part #1 as the nut and part #10 as the tie-rod. It shows the tie-rod being threaded on both ends so you (or a friend) could try prying up on the lid while you try to unscrew the "locking knob". Worse case you could destroy the knob and unscrew the tie-rod with pliers, etc. and just replace the knob and tie-rod.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

Thank you linen and bama rambler for the quick response .Bama I'm gonna give it a try this weekend but the only down side is the replacement parts are pricey and it will cost half as much as a new filter unit . I guess my next question is if this hayward filter unit is non repairable should I just replace it with the same filter unit or do I need to upgrade to a bigger unit and make some changes all at once .... im not to familiar with pool equipment setup . I know I have a hayward pump but the model # isn't visible anymore and the motor is an Emerson high efficiency 3/4 hp /1.5 s.f/ 2" piping pumping a 20k pool . I'll try to post some pics ..once again thank you TFP
    20k / Hayward star-clear filter 175 sf cartridge 2" fip / IG / Platser / waterfall / Hayward pump / emerson 3/4 hp 1.5 sf

5. Back To Top    #5

If you have to replace it Id' go with a larger size but I'd just try to get it apart first, You may be able to get it apart without more damage.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit