What size ground wire for wet light niche

well my plumber ran the bare #8 bonding wire to the back of the niche. but I guess I have to run another wire to the inside of the niche. Is this a ground wire or bonding wire. Im assuming it is a ground wire that connects to the ground in my light junction box.

To be honest, I am not sure ... so hopefully someone more knowledgeable will come along.

I think you only have to run the wire that is attached to the light fixture (which may include a ground in the bundle). Since it is bonded there is really nothing to "ground" in the niche.

Sorry I can not be sure.

Code is no less than 8 awg coated green. This is in addition to the bare 8 on the outside of the niche. Google "mikeholt.com pool download". There is a great PDF on the 680 nec pool code that states this.

rhumbaclave said:
Code is no less than 8 awg coated green. This is in addition to the bare 8 on the outside of the niche. Google "mikeholt.com pool download". There is a great PDF on the 680 nec pool code that states this.

To me that reads that the 8 AWG is required if you use non-metallic conduit and it reads like that is the bonding wire ... but I am certainly no expert.

As a general rule, the ground conductor should be the same size as the current-carrying conductors, and is typically determined by circuit current. For a 15 Amp circuit, one would use #14, w/ a #14 ground.

Definitely do not confuse the electrical ground with the bonding of the equipotential grid.

jblauert said:
rhumbaclave said:

To me that reads that the 8 AWG is required if you use non-metallic conduit and it reads like that is the bonding wire ... but I am certainly no expert.

I stand corrected. It does seem to only be for non metallic. I

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
just a quick reply, I passed inspection no problem. Yes you must run a #8 green ground wire to the inside of the niche and also waterproof the connection with potting compound. I though I would share since someone else may have the same question.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.