Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Fafco solar heat controller ?

1. Back To Top    #1

Fafco solar heat controller ?

So I have this Fafaco solar heat controller that turns on and stays on when the switch is in the "on/test" position. I then set the temperature that I want , place the switch in the "auto" position. I can hear and see the valve/motor open up, and then it shuts off, and then it opens, and then it shuts off. sometimes it only starts to open and then closes. I can hear the relay click when it opens and closes.
    I am prety sure its either a temperature sensor or a relay. the question is if it is the temperature sensor is it the one by the solar panels or is it the one by the plumbing? or is it a flakey relay.
    Thanx.
    Tampa florida where it hot. Thats why I have a 37000 gallon, inground, pebble tech coated, 4-8 foot deep pool. I use Aquarite chlorine generator to produce a salt water pool. Fafco solar heater and use a Pentair clean and clear filter.
    MARC

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Fafco solar heat controller ?

Anybody have any experience with solar heat controllers. I have to keep the switch in the "test" position to heat my pool.
    Tampa florida where it hot. Thats why I have a 37000 gallon, inground, pebble tech coated, 4-8 foot deep pool. I use Aquarite chlorine generator to produce a salt water pool. Fafco solar heater and use a Pentair clean and clear filter.
    MARC

3. Back To Top    #3

Welcome to the forum marc813!

I cant answer your question but I'm sure someone will be along shortly.
    18' x 42" Intex (4786 Gal @ 80% capacity) Intex 8110 SWCG, 2000 GPH cartridge filter.
    Full Sun, Well Water, Borates at approx. 50
    TFTestKit-100--The Pool Calculator--Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

To the best of my knowledge, Fafaco doesn't make controllers, only panels, for pools. What brand/model of controller do you have?
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

inside of the box it says Fafco solar heat controller, but I did a search for images of solar heat controllers and there it was..... it says Fafco but I think its a stamp. The actual brand is the helitrope or a Helio-Matic HM4000C.
    MARC

6. Back To Top    #6

You can find a copy of the manual here. It lists some testing procedures that sound fairly simple to do.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

7. Back To Top    #7

Thank you for the link.
    I found that as well as i was looking for the image. I was hoping someone had direct experience with the clicking on and off all day.
    I will try the testing tomorrow.
    MARC

8. Back To Top    #8

In the Industry

Both sensors are used. Sensor on the roof verifies that the panels are in the sun (cloud has not parked over the panels, or that it is not night time), and the sensor in the plumbing verifies that the water temp is lower than the temp you have set. I would start with the sensors as they are cheaper than the main board(if you can still get it). Haven't seen those controllers(in use) in quite a while.
    Factory Warranty Station for:
    Jandy/Zodiac, Pentair, Sta-Rite, Raypak, Polaris,
    and Paramount pool cleaning systems.

9. Back To Top    #9

thanx for the info i will test them both. my pool is only 7 years old.
    MARC